WTB: Stainless 30 litre Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a 30 litre stainless fermenter that's similar to the one in the pic below. Any advice would be great. I know the new conicals are great but I'm looking for cheaper options?? I'm in Sydney (Northern Beaches) if anyone is selling one second hand. Cheers

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432988869.367486.jpg

From my research, the cheapest is the one you pictured and then there is the SS Brewbucket which is more expensive.

tSlQLZk.png

If you want cheap, buy a 30L stainless pot, silicone around the pots rim (slit silicone tubing) and clamp down the lid using ratchet or even occy straps.

It is the same theory being used in your pic. You can drill a hole in the lid and add an airlock, I just use a siphon to extract the wort but you could just as easily add a tap.

I have and still do use the above method with a big w 20L stainless stockpot for smaller experimental batches.

A 30 litre olive oil storage container is cheaper than the one pictured above.
It has a screw on lid with a rubber seal. You will need to fit a tap of your choice.

I use one of the olive oil containers. The bomb. Sounds like you're looking for inexpensive though.

In that case Judanero's mention is likely the best. If you don't want to do any work yourself there are plenty on AliBaba Express.

Mardoo said:
I use one of the olive oil containers. The bomb. Sounds like you're looking for inexpensive though.

In that case Judanero's mention is likely the best. If you don't want to do any work yourself there are plenty on AliBaba Express.
You can get the 30L olive oil drums from Brewmart for about a $160 +postage. A 1/2 inch ball valve fits straight on it without any alterations .
http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=3448&SZIDX=0&CCODE=30392&QOH=3&CATID=330&CLN=1

Some of the olive oil drums have a welded base and some have a crimp on base. The welded have no seams internally, they are all nice and smooth and easy to clean. The crimp on base has a big seam running around that would be nasty to get clean, so if you're going the olive oil drum make sure its the right one. I have an oil drum and a mangrove jacks stainless fermenter. The MJ's one is my preference just as it doesn't narrow at all so is marginally easier to clean. It is also ready to go from the box, you don't need to buy a tap like you do for the oil drums. They both ferment beer just fine.

I've got 50l oil drum, will be getting a 30l one down the track as well, the stainless taps you can get for them rock my world.. Epic bits of kit.

Yob said:
I've got 50l oil drum, will be getting a 30l one down the track as well, the stainless taps you can get for them rock my world.. Epic bits of kit.
Hey Yob,

Where have you purchased yours from?

Matt

Winequip in Melbourne.

Naturally I organised a bulk buy, all the details are in there if you want to have a look mate.

I just use a 27l stockpot bought off ebay for 40 bucks I just whack the lid on and away it goes not worried about an airlock

I gave my wallet another bashing today and got the SS Brewbucket. The one without the thermowell. I am kind of flabbergasted that the ball valve does not come apart for cleaning. For such an expensive piece of kit I think this is a huge over sight. I think I might take it back.

Edit: Ok I managed to get it appart all but the last seal which if I got it out Im not sure I could get it back in. The part with the thread that the handle goes on to also doesnt seem to come out. A bit better but still not impressed. Im wondering if I could use another valve and make my own racking arm but still pretty shit for the money.

ok so give the brew bucket a miss

Thats a bit of a drive for me and involves me convincing the wife. Not an option atm. I much prefer stealth purchases Plus i have a pils im busting to ferment in stainless.

nosco said:
Thats a bit of a drive for me and involves me convincing the wife. Not an option atm. I much prefer stealth purchases Plus i have a pils im busting to ferment in stainless.
The bit of a drive thing I fully understand! But winequip will ship, and take purchases over the phone! Definitely on the cards for a couple, that's if Yob doesn't run another BB???? (that's a hint Yob)

Getting sucked in by shiny was also a motivator in the purchase. I did actually kinda ask about a bulk buy in an email to winequip but didnt get a reply. Best done over the phone.

Touch wood, but my brewbucket I've used for 2 yrs now and no issue with the tap.

Just a good soak in boiling water mixed with sodium perc every 5th use.

I got a mate to drill a hole and added a keg king thermowell.

Latest posts

Back