• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB - 5L Oak Barrel Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey team,

I'm looking for a 5L oak barrel, preferably unused. It's going to have port in it for the next couple of years then single malt for as long as I can leave it alone.
They're selling new for about $170 from a variety of retailers, I'd prefer to spend about half that, depending on the condition of the barrel.

Surely someone has one kicking about the Man Cave that's not getting any use.

Give me a shout here or on 0415 197 426

I'm happy to pick up from anywhere around Sydney or nearby within reason.

Robin.

to get the most out if it, get a new one, those that have been is use will have less impact.. Id try to get the most out of it as I could

people parting with barrels in good nick is rare as rocking horse shit anyway, you'll find you wont part with yours either ;)

will this single malt be unoaked when you get it or already oaked and you're doing further oaking?
If it's unoaked, why not obtain some oak staves and a 5L demijohn
Soak the staves in port for a while, then throw your single malt into the demijohn and put it in the back of a cupboard for a year
Doing it this way removes the need for 3+ years of aging due to greater surface area contact

Yeah I had thought about the demijohn option, I've got a few and could spare one for this, but I think I prefer the barrel option. It's 10 times cooler.
Having 5 litres of port to get through and another 5 of single malt, I don't think the 3+ years of aging will be an issue.

5L of port to get through? That's just a good weekend :ph34r:

Back