Wrong Hops for Weisse?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Went for a little spin to the HBS the other day and amongst other things I decided to pick up some ingredients for my Weisse that I have planned (based on Les's Schneider Weisse-style). Unfortunately the LHBS didnt have Hallertauer and I needed Fuggles for another brew, so I thought, what the hell, wheat isn't very hop-driven anyway and Fuggles is kinda noble...

Anyway I have since done a bit of research and found that a spicy noble hop may be important after all. What do people think? At the moment I have:

50% Malted Wheat
45% JW Trad
5% Caramunich

WYeast 3638 - Bavarian Wheat

HOPS IN THE LARDER
- Fuggles
- Magnum
- Simcoe
- Cascade
- Amarillo
- Citra

Do I need to do another brew and hold off until I can get some more suitable Noble hops?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

For a New Age Weissbier you could bitter to 15 IBU using Amarillo. If the Magnum is German not US then use it to bitter to 15 IBU. Otherwise wait until you can get hold of some Noble Hops such as Hallertau Mittelfrüh or Hersbrucker.

Screwy

Use the cascade, Simcoe and Citra to 20 IBU and call it an American wheat. On the other hand your only using a really small amount so I reckon Magnum would be perfect to be honest.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Going with Magnum to 17.5 IBU.

Back