Wowsers Advancing The Hb Cause

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Heard a snippet on the radio this morning, with some wowser from one of the "Aussies drink too much" councils or equivalent going on about a lobby to parliament to have the excise raised on Alcohol to try and curb consumption.

Of course, the government is looking into the plan (more taxes, taxes on taxes etc...)

Fortunately, it will increase the profile of the home brewer (and increase the sales of oil extractors).

Had a quick search on the media sites for a link but couldnt find one....

Oh to be responsible for my own actions......

M

I wonder if the ADTMC (Aussie's Drink Too Much Council) know anything about homebrewing. Almost everyone I know that starting homebrewing for fun, or to reduce beer costs has always increased their beer consumption as a result (do I smell a poll?). That is:

mandrakar's rule: Higher beer prices makes people become HBers
BiG's Rule: Becoming a HBer makes you drink more
Conclusion: More beer tax will increase australian beer consumption.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of the ADTMC. They are therefore (1) ignorant of HBing, or (2) thinking that HB isn't really beer, or (3) stupid.

#3 (stupid)

mandrakar said:
Oh to be responsible for my own actions......

arrgghh I agree 100%

To many people in this world trying to tell others what is best for them! :angry:

I have said on many occasions, to any that would listen, that now the anti-smoking lobby has just about done their job...the Gov funding will dry up, therefore the same people under another Org name will start on Alcohol/beer/spirit/premixers(RTD's) consumption, more to get the Gov funding, rather than the actual cause.
Although they'll NEVER go near wine consumption, because most of the same people will have a stake in a boutique winery somewhere(for tax write off purposes of course!).

Now I have undertaken zero research on this and I might be way off the beam here but somehow I smell a link between the popularisation of ethanol in car fuel and ethanol taxes. The timing always makes me at least a little suspicious.

dont you also mean ethanol production subsidies for select companies ... :)

Spot on Redbeard. And funnily enough, they seem to be big Coalition donors come electoral time... But this aint the place for political discussion, so I'll stop now...

Shawn.

Gough said:
Spot on Redbeard. And funnily enough, they seem to be big Coalition donors come electoral time... But this aint the place for political discussion, so I'll stop now...
[post="100919"][/post]​
This is the pub isn't it?

With all these limits and controls, thank God we're not a dreaded communist country. ;)

Careful, that could be considered sedition. And with these new laws...

Latest posts

Back