Worst Ever Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Bar fridge Ive done the same thing. Not as bad, I won,t be doing it a second time!!!!!
Can you imagine the pain that people have with burns to most of there body OUCH!!

Take care fellow brewers you want to be there to enjoy the beer at the end!!
:beer:

and nice resurrection. Luckily there was no scarring or anything else bad, I got off lightly.

Hey barfridge.

I feel for u mate

I got burnt at work a couple of years back.

Raw steam !!!!

A hose went and started flocking around with 1800KPA od pure staem comming out and i was traped behind a 44 gallon drum "can filler" and coulsnt get out in a hurry.

It flashed past my leg and gave me 2nd and some 3rd degree burns to an areah about the size of a pint glass up my calf muscle, through heavy work pants.

was off work for a month, visited the burns unit every day.

I learned from this!!!

When i brew i use leather gloves and wear leather boots. Mt boiler sits on bricks. I had one crack once. I donl like the thought of standing on concrete with 50 liters of boiling liquid running between my toes and removing my skin.

Its worth thinking about people!!!!!

cheers

Feel for you Tony. Sounds bad. Never had something that bad, but I do have some really, nasty burns on my fingers from hot water for the mash that splashed up on them. Takes so long for them to heal. :angry:

I have also learnt. Use some good, thick gloves a lot now when brewing. :)

Tony said:
When i brew i use leather gloves and wear leather boots. Mt boiler sits on bricks. I had one crack once. I donl like the thought of standing on concrete with 50 liters of boiling liquid running between my toes and removing my skin.

Its worth thinking about people!!!!!

cheers
[post="117496"][/post]​

Must be a recent change, hey Tony? - brewing in thongs from memory on my visit :)

there again, i might have been under the influence :p

cheers Ross

yeah, i was slack back then

bare feet actually ross :) and smaller amounts and lots less heat.

That rambo burner...... man im waiting for it to pop the bricks that the kettil sit on.

am going to measure it up and make something steel next week.

boots and gloves now though.

ever has the hairs on your leg picked and shaved out of a 3rd degree burn with no pain killers. The skin went like loose sergical glove material in 20 seconds and kept clogging up the razor at the hospital. Naaaaaaaaaaaasty buisness.

I got in the shit from the boss for driving myself to the hospital :) They said i should have called an ambulance cause it was work related but..... well........ im too stubourn to do that.

I would rather be drinkin it that lying in hospotal reading about it!!!

cheers

oh and i thought u were the super human that was un-afected by alcohol ross?

thats what pumpy and stu reconed

I recon if i didnt have little kids to look after it would have been a big night :)

Oh well, maybe one day

cheers

Tony said:
I got in the shit from the boss for driving myself to the hospital :) They said i should have called an ambulance cause it was work related but..... well........ im too stubourn to do that.

I would rather be drinkin it that lying in hospotal reading about it!!!

cheers
[post="117518"][/post]​

Eeeeeekkk!!! I broke a nail. B)

Warren -

Jeez
Those sound like some pretty nasty accidents. My set-up is fairly sketchy, a 3 tier wooden (!) stand that I made up, it is a little bit wonky, but does the trick OK, I have been getting more and more worried about it the more brews I do, I am 6'4 and have to stand on my tippy toes on a stool to look into my HLT to check the temp! The other night, whilst draining to my CFC, a hose came off and very hot wort went all over my (luckily) baggy shorts, didnt burn me too much, just enough to feel like the inside of my leg got a good sunburn, and also enough to scare the crap outta me. Gonna order a March pump this week, they were always "too expensive" for me (I am a tight arse), but if I ever ended up with serious burns, I would probably pay $230 to get rid of em in a heartbeat. So, I figure I better just buy the pump, and reduce the risk by brewing at the right height. I may even take to wearing shoes, and get myself a good pair of gloves. Where would I get some of them gloves anyway? I have recently started wearing rubber gloves when I stir the wort or add hops. At least I know I wont be the only safety concious brewer out there.
All the best
Trent

Maybe some welding type gloves from Bunnings or some other major conglomerate hardware store ??
Brew in gumboots also maybe...

mika_lika said:
Maybe some welding type gloves from Bunnings or some other major conglomerate hardware store ??
Brew in gumboots also maybe...
[post="117611"][/post]​

Last time I brewed in Gumboots i ended up with about a litre of 70 odd degree sparge water in one. Those suckers are realy hard to get off in gloves

Latest posts

Back