Woohoo - fixed it

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
My trusty upright freezer has been playing up lately. STC set to 2.5c, but it has been hovering around 4c to 6c. Every time I walked past it seemed to be running. Pulled it apart today to see what makes it tick. I worked out what a defrost timer and a defrost termination thermostat are, and how they work in conjunction with the defrost heating element. Probably lucky I'm not on the clock as it's taken me over 2hrs, but I've worked out what is wrong. My defrost termination thermostat is buggered, $10 (posted) and it'll be like a new one.

It's that little bit of wire with the thermostat sealed in plastic, currently sitting on the shelf.
freezer_zpssuqj38ip.jpg

Anyone else managed to learn their way through it, or similar?

I just did and it looks like it's the same freezer setup.

I removed my thermostat completely and modified the timer so I can manually set it to defrost if it freezes. Works a treat now, holds temp and if it gets frosty I just crank the heater on for 2-4mins and all is well.

My heater thermostat cut off however was inside the duct "about half way" that goes up to the fan intake wrapped in foam.

Latest posts

Back