Wood Shavings/chunks/chips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguide

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get them from? I'd prefer Hickory if possible, but would be happy with any fruit trees (eg: peach, pear, apple etc..) instead.

I've seen brickettes and stuff at Bunnings & BBQs Galore, but I'd prefer to buy bulk. I found one bloke on eBay in the US but postage was a killer and he (seller) thought I'd have trouble getting it through customs as it was untreated wood.

I tried my local timber yard but they said they really only dealt with pine & mahogony - most of which had been treated in some shape or form.

Where does everyone else buy their shavings/chips for smoking?

I don't use chips/shavings for smoking - They burn far too quickly. They're fine if you're just using a little smoker box on a grill, or if you're cold smoking. But for american style barbecue I haven't found them to work as well.

I use the Weber "Firespice" brand Hickory chunks. As far as I know they're the only commercially sold wood chunks in Australia. They're available through all Weber dealers (including BBQs Galore).

Thanks Kook. I don't have a fancy box, I just make a pouch out of aluminium foil which I sit above a burner. :)

I am in the process of setting up an american style smoker made from a weber and a 44 drum, I have looked everywhere for apple or fruit tree wood and the only way I have found to get it is call some local lawnmowing gardening blokes and ask if I can have any fruit tree wood they cut down, most are happy to drop it off especially if theres some home brew involved. : )

Back