WLP023 Burton Ale for a Smoked Porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisso81

Reaction score
I have a cube of Lucas' Choc Smoked Porter sitting in the spare room and a vial of WLP023 Burton Ale sitting in the fridge. Will these guys go together, or will the reputed fruitiness of the Burton Ale be too much? I haven't used the Burton Ale yeast before but most info says it goes great in a Porter or Stout. Thoughts?

Why not give it a try?

If you're concerned with esters, make a decent starter and keep the temperature low. Esters are produced more when the yeast is stressed as well as at higher temperatures.

Been a month since the first post.. so maybe Chrisso can already tell us how it went? :D

I've just bottled a RIS using Burton (big starter), went from 1.095 down to 1.028 in about 2 weeks @ 18... My sample-after-one-week-bottle-bomb-test already tastes eff'n brilliant, slightly hot but that should mellow after a few months under the house.

No "fruityness" that I could tell, nice residial sweetness with some interesting phenolics (spicy/cloves). Anything else was probably masked by the alcohol or roasted flavours (~13% choc/rb).

I need to use it in a brown or similar so I can get a better handle on what this yeast can bring to the beer.

Agree with klangers - if you haven't done it yet, go for it! You can only learn, and you'll still end up with beer. :super:

Back