Wlp002........ Scary Stuff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Wyeast London III yeast, and it is meant to be Young's yeast, so I'm not sure where Jamil gets the Boddington's reference.

I believe Boddingtons is a Manchester brew, or at least somewhere in the Midlands, certainly not London.

Well, timely indeed, first time using this yeast. Check the pack mfg 11Sep06

A squirt of oxygen and onto the stirplate. A full 24 hrs passed without a change, then at 8pm it was like somebody flicked a switch, turned off the stirplate so as not to risk oxidisation and within an hour it had a good inch of krausen. Very agressive yeast, now 2 days later it's almost finished and ready for step 2.

View attachment 21221

That's a dear packet of yeast there Screwy....18 bucks

Rook

While we're on English strains and equivalents, does anyone know if WLP023 and Wy1275 are the same thing (without looking at the charts)? Burton Ale and "Thames Valley"... same thing? My English geography is appalling.

While we're on English strains and equivalents, does anyone know if WLP023 and Wy1275 are the same thing (without looking at the charts)? Burton Ale and "Thames Valley"... same thing? My English geography is appalling.

Wyeast Thames Valley is supposed to be Breakspear yeast , Henly on Thames Oxfordshire.
Burton on Trent is in the Midlands . Not even close geographically and the beer styles are also
very different.

Wyeast Thames Valley is supposed to be Breakspear yeast , Henly on Thames Oxfordshire.
Burton on Trent is in the Midlands . Not even close geographically and the beer styles are also
very different.

Hmm. According to the Mr Malty equivalancy charts... they're the same and apparently from the same brewery. Pfft Mr Malty.

Hmm. According to the Mr Malty equivalancy charts... they're the same and apparently from the same brewery. Pfft Mr Malty.

Yes . For a Burton Brewery you would be looking at Bass or Marstons certainly not Brakspear in Oxford!!

Wow.

Got home from a 16 hr day and found all this. I feel a bit more confidant in pitching it now.

was going to pitch it tonight but work (done 40 hrs in 3 days so far) is stopping brewing persuits and the kids are asking to see daddy for christmas!

might make another starter up tomorrow night and step it up again to be safe. ITs going in 17 liters of 1.076 or so English Strong Ale.

cheers and thanks folks

Hi All,

Exuming this thread to ask those in the know, i had about 400ml of wy1986 in the fridge, i thought that as i had a sizeable amount, there would be no need for a starter, however after pitching the cold slurry last night, its still hasnt done anything yet, i would have thought it may have started to foam up. It was only at about 17 degrees this morning so it could have dropped even colder last night, i've read that this yeast does tend to go right to sleep, reckon this is the cause for the slow lag? the yeast smelt perfect when i pitched it.

I use this yeast in most of my english styles.
I had a similar experience when I kept some of the yeast from a yeast cake and pitched it into the next batch. I didn't see it krausen and after 3 days I thought it didn't take off. I was just about to pitch some fresh yeast when I thought I would check the gravity, it was 1012 :eek:

It also floculates well at the end of fermentation

kabooby :)

just read this, sounds like what i'm in for.

Hi All,

Exuming this thread to ask those in the know, i had about 400ml of wy1986 in the fridge, i thought that as i had a sizeable amount, there would be no need for a starter, however after pitching the cold slurry last night, its still hasnt done anything yet, i would have thought it may have started to foam up. It was only at about 17 degrees this morning so it could have dropped even colder last night, i've read that this yeast does tend to go right to sleep, reckon this is the cause for the slow lag? the yeast smelt perfect when i pitched it.

I assume you mean 1968?

In my experience, it has sometimes been slow to start, even when pitching a good amount. It's OK to keep aerating occassionally until you see a yeast head form. After that, swish gently to keep it in suspension.

cheers, such a fickle yeast, lucky the results are worth it.

Back