Wlp002........ Scary Stuff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have had some WLP002 "fullers yeast" sitting in a starter for over a week now. IT didnt bubble, it didnt froth.

If fact i thought it was dead.

What must have happened is it must have finnished over night when i first put it in the starter.

Ran a bit of clear liquor off last night and its 1.002 (started weak too) and definatly fermented out.

This stuff clumps so well that it drops out to a thick mat in the bottom of the stir bar starter in 10 seconds after the stir bar stops and on starting the stir plate back up. lifts like a pancake and slowly breaks up into booger sized yeast chunks that never seem to let go of eack other.

Either i have about 300 huge yeast cells or this stuff is more floculant than lead!

No i have a question for previous users of this rather scary yeast.

Do you have problems with it sitting on the bottom and doing nothing in the ferment and do you stir it up during ferment?

Any experiences and ideas about using this yeast will be apreciated.

cheers

Hi all.

I have had some WLP002 "fullers yeast" sitting in a starter for over a week now. IT didnt bubble, it didnt froth.

Do you have problems with it sitting on the bottom and doing nothing in the ferment and do you stir it up during ferment?

cheers

I have used the Wyeast equivalent and had no problems with it. I had very well airated wort and the yeast was ready to go
when pitched. I had added a litre of fresh wort to the starter in the morning of brewing.

Regards

Graeme

Either i have about 300 huge yeast cells or this stuff is more floculant than lead!

cheers

Hi Tony

It definitely flocs like lead, sometimes before it has finished fermenting as well. I have had to rouse it a few times when we used to use it in the brewery. Cleaning it out of the fermenter is fun as well, it really is hard to get back into a solution to get it out.

Cheers
Pedro

Tony,

This is one of my favourite liquid ale yeasts. It ferments fast, has a high attenuation rate and drops out crystal clear. I've used this yeast heaps and never had any issues with it. I've never felt the need to stir up the yeast either.

Andrew

I love this yeast. & have almost gone overboard with it (the low attenuation is getting a bit much & I've started leaning towards the drier alternatives for English styles)

I've found that it can sometimes drop out early if you have a big temperature drop. But it hasn't happened too often for me.

Yep,
Had the same experience and similar questions on here when I first used this. Looks like a swirling solution of rice flakes on the stir plate and the pancake description fits it to a tee.

If you're bottling beer on 002, be sure it's done. I've had a few very overcarbonated beers from this yeast when it wakes up in the bottle and goes back to work. I know others have too, even the multi-award winning Barry has opened a fizzer or two at IBU events bottled with this yeast. We worked out it's meant to be a cask yeast, where the extra carbonation from a late fermentation would just extend the life of the beer. So less of a problem if you're kegging it, but rouse the bejeebus out of it if you're going to bottle.

W1968 is the Wyeast equivalent.

Both work well and I have a beer on the WhiteLabs version right now.

No floccing problems :lol:
Funnily enough whilst I love WY1968 I find it does seem to enjoy a good rousing to make sure it finishes the job before slacking off. All my worts are aerated with pure O and I don't underpitch as a force of habit. A big stainless mixing paddle from the catering supply places does a fantastic job of beating some sense into it. So WLP002 doesn't seem to be much different.

I use this yeast in most of my english styles.
I had a similar experience when I kept some of the yeast from a yeast cake and pitched it into the next batch. I didn't see it krausen and after 3 days I thought it didn't take off. I was just about to pitch some fresh yeast when I thought I would check the gravity, it was 1012 :eek:

It also floculates well at the end of fermentation

kabooby :)

W1968 is the Wyeast equivalent.

Both work well and I have a beer on the WhiteLabs version right now.

No floccing problems :lol:

ahh cheers, i have about 400mls of this from my last batch. Gonna go dwn a treat when we get some floor malted grain.

gap,

Have a look at the spreadsheet in post 11 of this thread

Link

Rook

I am not interested in getting into an argument about this, but why would Wyeast produce the same yeast
under 2 different Numbers. Does not make any sense.

Regards

Graeme

I am not interested in getting into an argument about this, but why would Wyeast produce the same yeast
under 2 different Numbers. Does not make any sense.

Regards

Graeme

I doubt they do. These charts are an "equivalency for a recipe" thing, not a strain for strain matching table. ie, your recipe calls for Wyeast 1234 but you can only get WL yeast, so use WLP123 or WLP321. This doesn't mean WLP321 is the same strain as WLP123, but only that it'll also be suitable for the style.

As PoMo says, just equivalents. But I think gap is right that really the 1968 is the same beast as the 002. Both are the ones with incredibly clumpy yeast. The Wyeast blurb for 1318 only says High Flocculation, nothing about "dropping like lead" there at all. :D

Well, timely indeed, first time using this yeast. Check the pack mfg 11Sep06

A squirt of oxygen and onto the stirplate. A full 24 hrs passed without a change, then at 8pm it was like somebody flicked a switch, turned off the stirplate so as not to risk oxidisation and within an hour it had a good inch of krausen. Very agressive yeast, now 2 days later it's almost finished and ready for step 2.

DSCF8256.JPG

I have the Wyeast London III yeast, and it is meant to be Young's yeast, so I'm not sure where Jamil gets the Boddington's reference.

Back