Wiring A Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were to buy a fridgemate, would this document help?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Indifferent

• Total voters
otherwise, just tape on outside of fermenter with a bit of foam over it.

This is what I do! I also nochill in my kettle overnight, then put the kettle in the chest freezer with the probe attached to bring down to pitching temp, works a treat allthough through the stainless steel there is about a 5 degree temp difference :icon_cheers:

If you don't have a drill, or any tools for that matter, how do you put holes in this 'box' and cut a rectangle? Scissors surely wont do the job i wouldnt think/

Huge PITA but a stanley knife will make all the openings required if you must resort to that.

If you don't have a drill, or any tools for that matter, how do you put holes in this 'box' and cut a rectangle? Scissors surely wont do the job i wouldnt think.

Where did you get the box from?

Yeah can get the boxes from jarcar. The cheapest boxes are the black ones but i still think they were the best ones to use out of the lot. They are made of a thin but strong plastic so they should be ideal for you as don't have the correct tools.

As for tools i think you will need to go out n by a small hack blade from Bunnings, they can be a few dollars or a stanley knife. I'd still strongly suggest you ask around to find someone that can lend you the proper tools as its going to be something you'll have for a while and you don't wana be disappointed in you workmanship everytime you see it.

just tape on outside of fermenter with a bit of foam over it.

I did a quick check on my last fermentation to see how accurate affixing the probe via a large piece of bluetack (to cover the whole probe) is in measuring the inner temp of the fermenting wort. I admit that I only checked it during the second day of fermentation, but using a digital thermometer I was please to see that the internal temp was 18C, and the Fridgemate was also reading a temp of 18C. So I am happy to continue using bluetack on the outside of the fermenter now. I also like this as there is less chance of introducing nasties through introduction of a probe or other into the fermenter (even though I am fastidious with cleanliness).

*bump*

Yeah can get the boxes from jarcar. The cheapest boxes are the black ones but i still think they were the best ones to use out of the lot. They are made of a thin but strong plastic so they should be ideal for you as don't have the correct tools.

As for tools i think you will need to go out n by a small hack blade from Bunnings, they can be a few dollars or a stanley knife. I'd still strongly suggest you ask around to find someone that can lend you the proper tools as its going to be something you'll have for a while and you don't wana be disappointed in you workmanship everytime you see it.

What are the proper tools?

I have a cordless drill to cut the holes for the cables, that's no drama, but what would be the best tool to cut out a rectangle for the face of the tempmate?

Cheers.

I use a cheapo Ozito dremel like thing I bought from Bunnings with a little cotting disc on it. Works a treat...

What are the proper tools?

I have a cordless drill to cut the holes for the cables, that's no drama, but what would be the best tool to cut out a rectangle for the face of the tempmate?
There were suggestions in the post you quoted. I did mine with a hacksaw and a file. Not the best method I'm sure. As for the best... If I had to do it again I would do the same as schooey;

I use a cheapo Ozito dremel like thing I bought from Bunnings with a little cotting disc on it. Works a treat...
I've now got the same tool, and I'd imagine it would do a great job.

There were suggestions in the post you quoted. I did mine with a hacksaw and a file. Not the best method I'm sure. As for the best... If I had to do it again I would do the same as schooey;

I've now got the same tool, and I'd imagine it would do a great job.

The post I qutoed suggested 'not' the proper tools. :D

Thanks heaps guys, ive just found a cheapish dremel on ebay....

One more question.

Assuming you place the tempmate on top of the fridge, how do you run the two cables (power cable for heat belt and sensor cable) into the fridge? ie: How is it possible to maintain a good seal on the fridge door without drilling a big hole in it?

One more question.

Assuming you place the tempmate on top of the fridge, how do you run the two cables (power cable for heat belt and sensor cable) into the fridge? ie: How is it possible to maintain a good seal on the fridge door without drilling a big hole in it?
I just run them past the seals. It helps a little if you tape the wires to the fridge to make sure they're as close as possible, but you shouldn't break the seal too badly like this.

Hey All

Is anyone controlling their fermenting fridge with 2 x fridgemate temp controllers i.e. one to control heating & one to control cooling, I would be interested to know how they behave together as to how tight a temp range can be set between the 2 controllers before they start hunting.

Cheers
Shonks
:icon_vomit:

Two fridgemates will cost you over $100 delivered, you can buy a tempmate for around $75 or something that will do exactly what you want..

Check out the sponsors in the page header... ;)

Two fridgemates will cost you over $100 delivered, you can buy a tempmate for around $75 or something that will do exactly what you want..

Check out the sponsors in the page header... ;)

Cheers Schoony

I have just finished building a Tempmaster from Jaycar - Not Impressed !!! I was going to wire an aircon thermostat to the fridge thermostat with a toggle switch to select between the two thermostats for heating & cooling temps and use the Tempmaster for heating.
I then discovered the Fridgemate but now thanks to you & reading the forum properly the Tempmate looks like the real deal.
Do you know if anyone in Perth stocks them?

Cheers
Shonks
:icon_cheers:

ZOMBIE THREAD< RISE FROM THE GRAVE!
;)
hey all, my fridge thermostat crapped itself and i finally joined the rest of the world and got a fridgemate. My electrician has not got to much experience with 240v but has made a bunch of circuit boards etc, just wondering if you can see any glaring errors before i plug it in..
cheers all!
20101203_001.jpg

Can't see much of anything there. 2d photo /= depth perception.

If they all plug into the same point, then you're screwed, otherwise I'd need a better picture to tell.

ZOMBIE THREAD< RISE FROM THE GRAVE!
;)
hey all, my fridge thermostat crapped itself and i finally joined the rest of the world and got a fridgemate. My electrician has not got to much experience with 240v but has made a bunch of circuit boards etc, just wondering if you can see any glaring errors before i plug it in..
cheers all!
View attachment 42546

You may wish to consider putting a cable tie or something on all the 240V cables going in and out of the case. The cable glands you've used are for weather-proofing, not strain-relief. Without proper strain relief, there is a possibility that, as the thing falls off the top of the fridge, or you kick the cable, or some other unlikely situation, the cord will come out and you will have a 240V-powered cobra dancing around you.

criticism accepted, does this help? cross your eyes slightly and you will get a 3d image.
3d_wiring.jpg

criticism accepted, does this help? cross your eyes slightly and you will get a 3d image.

LOL, you trying for some old school stereoscopic ? I thought that only worked with magic goggles.

Back