Will This Recipe Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsy4

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this brewing game - I put down a brew 2 days ago which is sitting at 24oC; maybe its a little high? The brew is a czech pilsener from a Brew Craft concentrate.

Today I went back to the homebrew shop to buy ingrediants for the next brew when this one finishes next week. I'm not if these ingrediants will give a good taste - anyone got an opinion?

Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale 'smooth full flavoured beer with a high hop level and caramel aroma'
Booster blend - 500 gm dextrose; 250 gm corn syrup; 250 gm powdered light malt
Dextrose - 400 gm
Finishing hops - Fuggles

Will the taste of hops be overpowering in this blend, or the type of hops wrong? The extra 400 gm is just to boost the alcohol a little...

Cheers,
Hobbsy

the finishing hops wont overpower, just give different flavours
experiment and see what you like
24 with a morgans kit should be fine

You will have elements of this beer fighting each other.

An Amber Ale is quite malt driven. By adding the Booster Blend and Dextrose you will have 900 gr dextrose. That and the 250 gr corn syrup are virtually fully fermentable. Although you will achieve higher alcohol, you will also dry the beer out, taking away from the desired body and maltiness of an Amber Ale. I wouldn't do it and, instead, look at replacing say 500 gr of the Dextrose with LDME. That will tend to keep your beer more in style as an Amber Ale.

The Fuggles finishing hops will go well with this style of beer.

Having said that, it's your beer, and if you want to experiment in this fashion, there's nothing to stop you. If you don't try, you don't learn.

.That and the 250 gr corn syrup are virtually fully fermentable.

Corn syrup is maltodextrin no? Only partially fermentable - used like carapils to add body.

I'd agree though that probably 500g of dex is enough (in the brew booster) and maybe replacing the 400 dex addition with 600g DME might give a better result.

Corn syrup is maltodextrin no?

Not to my knowledge.
As far as I'm aware, Corn Syrup (or Corn Sugar) is Glucose, which is 100% fermentable.
Maltodextrin is a different thing to Corn Syrup.

I also thought that corn syrup was essentially maltodextrin. Corn syrup is highly processed and hence would not add any flavour if fermentable or not. If it is fermentable and hence not maltodextrin I would question the rationale to use it in addition to dextrose. That would be silly. Perhaps it is partially fermentable?
Sounds like the recipe is OK...enjoy! ;)

You will have elements of this beer fighting each other.

An Amber Ale is quite malt driven. By adding the Booster Blend and Dextrose you will have 900 gr dextrose. That and the 250 gr corn syrup are virtually fully fermentable. Although you will achieve higher alcohol, you will also dry the beer out, taking away from the desired body and maltiness of an Amber Ale. I wouldn't do it and, instead, look at replacing say 500 gr of the Dextrose with LDME. That will tend to keep your beer more in style as an Amber Ale.

The Fuggles finishing hops will go well with this style of beer.

Having said that, it's your beer, and if you want to experiment in this fashion, there's nothing to stop you. If you don't try, you don't learn.

+1
Using malt will result in a beer that is less dry than the use of dextrose.
Also a 20 litre batch will increase the alcohol contentent and the flavour a little.

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing Hobbsy.
Cheers, Ivan. :beer:

Not to my knowledge.
As far as I'm aware, Corn Syrup (or Corn Sugar) is Glucose, which is 100% fermentable.
Maltodextrin is a different thing to Corn Syrup.

It does get confusing but corn sugar here is dextrose as you point out. Corn syrup is synonymous with malto dex here in AU as far as I know and I bet that is what is in the blend (since it already contains dex).

http://www.grainprocessing.com/index.php?o...&Itemid=112

Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

There is also a type of corn syrup which is basically glucose but it's usually referred to by that name when used as a food additive. In AU brewing maltodex and corn syrup are interchangeable. It seems a bit daft but so are a lot of things.

As you can see from this page it is often added to brew boosters along with glucose/dextrose (thereby suggesting it is a seperate entity)

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=107

From memory I'm pretty sure the dried corn syrup from BC is maltodextrin. Don't quote me on that though, it's been a long long time since I've had the mispleasure of shopping at BC stores.

Ok, thanks for your help. I will probably leave out the 400g of dextrose and just add the booster and hops. If I get a chance I might buy some LDME and add some of that instead, or add something like 400g LDME and 1/4 to 1/2 the extra dextrose.

i'd say the corn syrup is maltodextrin - the packet was made by the homebrew shop and doesn't specify though.

Cheers,
Hobbsy

I know this is old as the hills but I did a few brews back in 2010 and none really turned out that well. Not sure if brewing in the mining camp room was conducive to good beer. Six years on I'm back on the horse, firstly with an attempted Coopers Pale Ale with POR hops, 400g dextrose and a kg of brew enhancer #2. Hopefully it works out well. I bottled it today so time will tell!

Back