Will The Bottles Explode!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin OS

Reaction score
Hi there

wrote in a week ago regarding a Pilsner I have been kit brewing, in summary

Saaz Pilsner
Morgans Lager Malt
Lager Yeast (unknown type- reccomends 15-20 degree temp)
hop bag

I started with a SG of around 1040 and it took about 5 days to get to 1020 then another 5 to 1015 of which it kind of levelled out for a while, however it seems to a have dropped now to 1010 in only two days, maybe my readings

problem is I am going away tomorrow so I took the punt and bottled it last night, the SG is now almost at 1010 and the test sample doesnt have any sweetness and is more like flat beer, very clear and all the yeast is firmly at the bottom of the drum

my question is - is this a safe level, the Pilsner kit said 1005 but that was using dextrose, I am using a malt extract and I believe 1010 is ok

I filled up a bunch of 660ml bottles last night each with 5gm of charge that I had turned into liquid with a mix of water and injected each bottle with 10ml, left about 2 inches at the top and then capped

placed in a cold room (cold for here) at 16 degrees covered with a wet towel as bomb mat protection

some words of reassurance or advice would be greatly appreciated

1010 sounds about right to me with those ingredients. Should be fine.

Thommo.

The malt you've added won't fully ferment out, so 1010 sounds about right. Relax and have another homebrew.

great news

thanks for the feedback guys

much appreciated

I can hopefully have a worry free trip away

cheers

I have just done that same brew and it hit that FG also, so I am guessing it is normal for this particular kit :beer: :chug:

Back