Will My Lager Come Out Too Thin/dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastdrinks

Reaction score
Put down my first AG lager today. Below is the recipe but the real issue here is that i mashed at 63c, with a drop of about 2c over an hour. I had an issue with the rice cooling down before i dumped into mash. With the rice included in the recipe will it attenuate too much?

8.6 kg Ale malt
1 kg rice solids
44litres batch
s-189

Is this going to be a issue and can i do something about it or should i just relax and see how it all turns out and mash higher if needed?

Cheers

Cheers. Hoping this will turn out to be an easy drinking summer beer. bittered with hallertau, 60minutes and 20 minute additions.

Yep thinner than my mum. Oh but any beer would be thinner than my mum she is extremly well rounded and massively full bodied.

If i wanted to ferment with safale-05, for a psuedo lager what temp is best? 16c?

If i wanted to ferment with safale-05, for a psuedo lager what temp is best? 16c?

Have you thought about Nottingham yeast? I find (though inevitably someone will disagree with me) that it is less estery, and therefore tends to suit pseudo-lagers well. And it has a lower range of 14 degrees, though anecdotal evidence suggests it'll ferment well even lower than that. Certainly I used it through the middle of winter in our high set home in an elevated (read: drafty) position, and inside temp was easily lower than that most nights and even days. It ferments very well and very quickly.

I ended up with thin beer - it tends to be good for summer drinking and certainly others who drank it were happy to do so.

Goomba

I would give nottingham a run but i have a packet of safale-05 so i think i'll stick to that on this one

Put down my first AG lager today. Below is the recipe but the real issue here is that i mashed at 63c, with a drop of about 2c over an hour. I had an issue with the rice cooling down before i dumped into mash. With the rice included in the recipe will it attenuate too much?

8.6 kg Ale malt
1 kg rice solids
44litres batch
s-189

Is this going to be a issue and can i do something about it or should i just relax and see how it all turns out and mash higher if needed?

Cheers

Why not stay with the lager yeast, it'll be a nice dry darker lager. It could be a winner and it's my sort of brew !.....I'm a low temperature masher if it's not blatantly obvious by my posts. Screwy can pick one of my beers at 150 paces because of my brewing habits.

Batz

Why not stay with the lager yeast, it'll be a nice dry darker lager. It could be a winner and it's my sort of brew !.....I'm a low temperature masher if it's not blatantly obvious by my posts. Screwy can pick one of my beers at 150 paces because of my brewing habits.

Batz

I definitely will be using s-189 for one of the cubes but the other cube will get a low temp safale-05 because i want to stock up before start using lager yeast and lagering. But it's good to hear i am just worrying a bit and the beer will be very drinkable.

Well i just kegged this lager and am very very happy with the results after tasting it out of the ferementer. The full recipe was:
8.6 kg Ale malt
1 kg rice solids
44litres batch
60gm Hallertau 60min
30gm Hallertau 20min
Whirloc
s-189
With two no-chilled cubes the finished product.

Fermented at 11.5c for two weeks, then lagered at 3c for one week. The SG was 1.047 and the FG turned out to 1.008 which is pretty good considering i was getting worried about it being too thin. Have just chucked the second cube on the old yeast cake. I like s-189 from the little bit i have seen of it.

Now what to brew next, the Dr's GA, a vienna lager, a lager without the rice or maybe a schwarzber. Bloody decisions, too many options not enough fermentors

Latest posts

Back