Will Finings Affect Lagering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitcho89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got the temp controller so I just did my first batch of "corona" using a lager yeast at 11C'. After 3 weeks it fermented out and was super clear but I tasted a f**k load of Diecytl so I mixed her up to get the yeast back into suspension to eat its waste. After 2 days it tastes fantastic with all traces of diecytl gone but it's pretty cloudy. I'm ready to Lager it for a minimum of 6 weeks but am I able to stick in finings to really clear it up or will that hurt the lagering process?

Cheers!

Mitch.

It wont hurt your lagering process, however if lagering for 6 weeks you could probably get away with no finings.

6 weeks lagering should result in a clear beer no worries.

(Gelatine could help clump the suspended yeasties too).

Thanks very much for that Raven. I've just found with my ales that the yeast didn't drop out at all what so ever and they've been cold conditioning for 6 weeks. Not to worry, Finings and then 1 micron filtering will fix that!

Thanks very much for that Raven. I've just found with my ales that the yeast didn't drop out at all what so ever and they've been cold conditioning for 6 weeks. Not to worry, Finings and then 1 micron filtering will fix that!

Gday Mitch,

From my small amount of experience, I did a few lagers when I was paranoid about clarity, used finings and found I was getting wet cardboard oxidation flavours, even when only stirring in gently, left out the finings and no more problems, racking to secondary and cold conditioning gives a pretty good result anyway I reckon.

Cheers,

Mark

Back