Will a low mash temp help an over dose of crystal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Mcleod

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hey Guys,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I always seem to figure these things out after the fact, but I’ve got too much crystal in the bill. This is my malt bill for a brew I’m going to be brewing tonight. This can’t be changed as it’s blended and cracked from the LHBS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]JW Trad Ale – EBC 3.5 – 4000g – 84%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]JW Dark Crystal – EBC 116 – 300g - 6%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]JW crystal – EBC 74 – 300g – 6%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]JW cara – EBC 55 – 150g – 3%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]My question is – Will it be better to mash this grain bill at around 62 – 64 Degrees making the beta amylase more active, causing a more complete fermentation and higher attenuation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I’m using the cake of a US05 APA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Any help would be appreciated[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cheers,[/SIZE]

Wont make much difference

Xtal doesnt convert

I think you will be ok with that recipe. Dark Xtal will add a lot more complexity

If you had 12% light Xtal it would be a different story

If anything I think a low mash temp giving you a dryer less body in the beer will detract from the finished product, with all that crystal you would want some body to compliment the flavours off the malt.
You haven't mentioned the beer style or hops but that grain bill could make a good Sierra nevada style beer.

Perfect for an American Amber Ale if mashed at about 65 to 66ºC.

Over dose? I don't think so. Currently drinking a SNPA clone which is 8% light crystal which went from 1.053 to 1.010 mashed at 65°C. Cracking beer. Nothing to 'help' so to speak. If you want it dry mash lower, otherwise carry on.

could you up the abv and go with what you've got ie: put some dex in as well.? then draw off two albeit smaller but different brews aka party gyle? one higher abv one less, change the hops whatever
End ramble

I would leave it. It is a high amount of crystal but not absurdly so and while I prefer around 200- 250 total per 5ish kg of base, I have been happy with beers as high as 500. As suggested, the fact that you have different types should lend some good complexity and if it comes out too dextrinous or a tad sweet, you will know why. If you try and fix what may not be a problem, it can be difficult to work out which process affected which outcome.

Thanks 4 the advise peoples. It'll b an APA.ebc 17 - ibu - 33. Gives it a ratio of 0.7. BIAB
Hop schedule is magnium 5g @ 90min
Then late additions of centenial & simcoe.

While you are correct that crystal malts don't convert in a mash, its because they are already converted. However, low and long mashing should help split the higher molecular weight sugars and dextrins into simpler sugars. Whether this process will correct a recipe fault can't really be predicted, but it should help.

Latest posts

Back