Will 25kg grain fit in a 30L drum?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers for the info guys. I actually decided to go and check out a local feed store (i live in the country these days) and they had 80L olive barrels with heavy duty airtight lids with o-rings for $20 each TOTAL BARGAIN.
If anyone wants some, they're in Kyneton ;-)

generally speaking,
25kg goes pat tight into a 42L tub (bunnings, $14.50) after you use 1kg for something useful (like making beer).
reject shop has stackable 9L containers for $3.50, pin accurate for 5kg grain (if you buy stuff like carapils or whatever in smaller doses).
i load my 42L bins down to a few of the 9L when they're 1/2 full to save room, keep fresh, and free the big bins up for the next sack.
also at reject shop, 2x 1.5L for $3.50, 1.5 L is perfect for 900g after you've used 100g out of a kilo bag for something useful (like making beer).
no affiliations etc

phillistine - have they got a franchise in brizvegas??

oh - as per blind dog above - not all grains are equal - i've got 500g roast barley that just crams into a 1.5L, and 500g carawheat that only 1/2 fills an identical container. i had to weigh them to check - the volume is so obviously different.

haha, i highly doubt they have a franchise - its just a family-owned, farming products and feed store in a small country town! But, Im sure if you look for similar kinds of places up your way you'll find something. Think horse feed, agricultural supplies, pet supplies (but not the big city-chain type ones)

philistine said:
haha, i highly doubt they have a franchise - its just a family-owned, farming products and feed store in a small country town! But, Im sure if you look for similar kinds of places up your way you'll find something. Think horse feed, agricultural supplies, pet supplies (but not the big city-chain type ones)
Went into big city -chain store here in Brisbane had farmers in its name talk about over priced and nothing to do with farm supplies. .

wynnum1 said:
Garbage Bags probably ok for grain but they are made to decompose and probably not food grade and there is probably a better and cheaper option .
I had a few fermenter liners I picked up from a BoP joint and they seem to be the exact same thing

Latest posts

Back