Wild Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter.brandon

Reaction score
Guys,

On sunday i brewed a nice APA with:
5kg ale grain
0.5 crystal
0.5 wheat
0.2 Melanoidan
There was 100g of hops a great deal late in the boil (Amarillo, centenial & Galaxy). Chilled it down to about 40 degrees then placed in the fermenter with airlock. :super:

Here's the problem i hadnt got my yeast going early enough so thought my beer would be fine for 2 days until it was ready.

I came home tonight opened the cupboard to find the damm airlock in the fermenter slowly bubbleing away .... ooop! Wild yeast. :(

Rang a mate who said just pitch the yeast i was culturing and see what happen.

Question is has anyone had this happen and what was the result (if you actually kept the beer)

Cheers,
Plyers

Tip it! It will be ferral. :icon_vomit: I don't care what anyone says it cannot be saved.

Chap Chap

Chilled it down to about 40 degrees then placed in the fermenter with airlock. :super:

As other have already said, its gone. Not much point in putting an airlock on, they're already in there....

I agree with the guys saying just to tip the thing, however if you're interested to see how it turns out why not get yourself a large pet bottle (3L should be fine) and fill the bottle with about 2.5L or whatever you want or that you think will be enough, drill a hole in the lid, slap a grommet on and airlock it and ferment as normal. I reckon it'll turn out shocking but if it doesn't then you have something to show for it and if if does then at least you'll have learnt what infected beer tastes like so that in the event that you get an infection in the future (hopefully you wont) without noticing then you'll be able to identify the problem and correct it accordingly.

Good Luck

Aaron

I agree with the guys saying just to tip the thing, however if you're interested to see how it turns out why not get yourself a large pet bottle (3L should be fine) and fill the bottle with about 2.5L or whatever you want or that you think will be enough, drill a hole in the lid, slap a grommet on and airlock it and ferment as normal. I reckon it'll turn out shocking but if it doesn't then you have something to show for it and if if does then at least you'll have learnt what infected beer tastes like so that in the event that you get an infection in the future (hopefully you wont) without noticing then you'll be able to identify the problem and correct it accordingly.

Good Luck

Aaron

Then again you could just go out around the neighbourhood and lick every cats arse you find. :icon_vomit:

I guarantee you'll be doing that anyway after you taste that 2.5l of devils brew just to rid yourself of the taste.

No offense Spartan ment :icon_cheers:

Then again you could just go out around the neighbourhood and lick every cats arse you find. :icon_vomit:

I guarantee you'll be doing that anyway after you taste that 2.5l of devils brew just to rid yourself of the taste.

No offense Spartan ment :icon_cheers:

lol none taken mate.

I agree with you, however if Plyers is interested in how it'll turn out then it's worth a go rather than wasting your time with 23L(or whatever) of shit you only waste your time with 2.5L , I've thankfully (I'm gonna jinx myself now I just know it!!!never had an infection so not sure how bad the badness is but have read that it's not pretty at all, still if it teaches you something and your willing to do it I say go for it.

:icon_offtopic: how's the preps going for the Bogan, Brew, Beer and Boobs Sheep Shaggers Convention. If only I was in Queensland.

lol none taken mate.

I agree with you, however if Plyers is interested in how it'll turn out then it's worth a go rather than wasting your time with 23L(or whatever) of shit you only waste your time with 2.5L , I've thankfully (I'm gonna jinx myself now I just know it!!!never had an infection so not sure how bad the badness is but have read that it's not pretty at all, still if it teaches you something and your willing to do it I say go for it.

:icon_offtopic: how's the preps going for the Bogan, Brew, Beer and Boobs Sheep Shaggers Convention. If only I was in Queensland.

Ok agree with that sentiment Spartan if anything it will be an object leason to the OP not to leave unprotected and unfermenting wort hanging around for 2 days. I say though if you do do it Plyers you have to drink the lot just so you have that taste burned into your synapses.

:icon_offtopic: All good so far. It's only an aeroplane ride away you know? I am sure you wouldn't regret it...

:icon_offtopic: but had you got the good yeast in there earlier, the wild yeast would have still been there.

Would your cultured yeast have killed the wild yeast? Or is homebrewing an ongoing crapshoot for that one time you had the window closed...

Can anyone advise whether wild yeasts are killed by cultured yeasts? Or are they simple overpowered?

Ok agree with that sentiment Spartan if anything it will be an object leason to the OP not to leave unprotected and unfermenting wort hanging around for 2 days. I say though if you do do it Plyers you have to drink the lot just so you have that taste burned into your synapses.

:icon_offtopic: All good so far. It's only an aeroplane ride away you know? I am sure you wouldn't regret it...

Yeah I take form the OP that a starter was made up, if its not ready just pitch it I say, it'll get going once it has lots of nice fermentables for its nom-noms

:icon_offtopic: I'm sure I wouldn't, however SWMBO and the bank balance might. Just got back from a week at Coffs Harbour. Maybe next year for the 3rd annual, do you reckon I could organise a bulk buy for cheap airflights through Qantas :icon_cheers: ???

Aaron

Go on Spartan, I am flying in too, 750ks away. Live like a Queenslander (for a weekend), you wont regret it.

I would dump the brew, I had my own record of not losing a brew, but i really struggle to drink shitty (infected) beer now. (I hav officially turned old now). (IMHO) just dump it and sanitise EVERYTHING or you will be drinking shit beer into the future. onne bad batch is bad enough, but 3 bad batchs because you held onto the first one, you will hate yourself. ( trust me, Chappo has done it).......(and me :D )

:icon_offtopic: but had you got the good yeast in there earlier, the wild yeast would have still been there.

Would your cultured yeast have killed the wild yeast? Or is homebrewing an ongoing crapshoot for that one time you had the window closed...

Can anyone advise whether wild yeasts are killed by cultured yeasts? Or are they simple overpowered?

Bloody good question Nick!
My unfounded understanding was that the good yeast via a good healthy sized colony pitched into fresh wort will win the day by overwhelming the opposition and effectly beating the bad yeast to the punch and keeping it's colony very small to non-existant. So I don't believe it kills the opposing yeast but rather dominates.

I base this on the fact that I occasionally pitch two different strain yeasts into a brew to change it's yeast and ester profle to suit a certain beer style. The two yeasts seem to co-exist well although, you do stress them both, so if you have a strain that throws huge esters when stressed that exactly what you get. For example a Hefe wort pitched with Bavarian and US-05 will end up big bannana's and but a nice dry beer as US-05 is a clean yeast that throws relatively nothing bad.

Bloody good question Nick!
My unfounded understanding was that the good yeast via a good healthy sized colony pitched into fresh wort will win the day by overwhelming the opposition and effectly beating the bad yeast to the punch and keeping it's colony very small to non-existant. So I don't believe it kills the opposing yeast but rather dominates.

I base this on the fact that I occasionally pitch two different strain yeasts into a brew to change it's yeast and ester profle to suit a certain beer style. The two yeasts seem to co-exist well although, you do stress them both, so if you have a strain that throws huge esters when stressed that exactly what you get. For example a Hefe wort pitched with Bavarian and US-05 will end up big bannana's and but a nice dry beer as US-05 is a clean yeast that throws relatively nothing bad.

It was inevitable.

There is a prominent "stink" once the top of the fermenter is taken off and i just tasted it and it tastes #$@& terrible!

The drain can have this one.

My fault for being too interested in my new plate stirrer than my brew.

Thanks all
Plyers

For example a Hefe wort pitched with Bavarian and US-05 will end up big bannana's and but a nice dry beer as US-05 is a clean yeast that throws relatively nothing bad.

I "krausened" an S04 ale a few weeks ago that wasn't stuck, but was taking it's sweet sweet time to finish (as it often does) with a cup of another fermenting ale with US05.

Blup, blup blup blup ... finished.

Makes me think that the yeasts might also time share the sugaz with one doing the finishing while the other's dormant.

Back