Wiki Artical On Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not having a go, but just curious.....if you bottle out of a keg, why not carb first, and then bottle? Or why bottle a full batch, why not just bottle a couple for going out with etc?

I find it an easier method than using bottling wands, which always seem to start dripping half way through bottling. Its damn handy being able to move around too, you can hold the bottle and tap in one hand, and be moving around and doing things with the other like getting a cap ready.

I've never had much success with bottling force carbonated beer, I think that a CPBF is really needed if you want to do it for long term beer storage.

I only use that method if I'm bottling a large batch though. And I only bottle large batches if I want to store the beer.

Fair enough. From the standpoint of being easy (and co2 blanketed) your method has certainly got merit. I think I'm just too much fo a tight ******* to want to use the gas, though...even in such small amounts. ;)

I tried the bulk priming thing this weekend, twice, first was a 20 litre Porter batch which I primed with 120 grams of Dextrose, and the second was a 20 litre APA which I primed with 150 grams of Dextrose, as opposed to using a bottling bucket I found it less hassle to mix the dex up with an amount of water, say, 30 bottles, 300 mls of water, then used a syringe to put 10mls in each bottle, well, actually, I got SWMBO to put the 10mls in each bottle while I filled them, heaps easy :D

Will post up results in a couple of weeks...

I tried the bulk priming thing this weekend, twice, first was a 20 litre Porter batch which I primed with 120 grams of Dextrose, and the second was a 20 litre APA which I primed with 150 grams of Dextrose, as opposed to using a bottling bucket I found it less hassle to mix the dex up with an amount of water, say, 30 bottles, 300 mls of water, then used a syringe to put 10mls in each bottle, well, actually, I got SWMBO to put the 10mls in each bottle while I filled them, heaps easy :D

Will post up results in a couple of weeks...
I don't wont to seem too pedantic but by definition it isn't bulk priming when you inject 10mls into each bottle as that is individual priming. You need to add the right amount to each bottle and if the bottle size changes then you need to change the dose. Bulk priming is adding all the sugar to the batch in one go and then bottle size doesn't matter.

I'm about to bulk prime a lager that had a diacetyl rest at 18c nere the end of fermentation. It was then lagered at 2c for a month. When working out the amount of C02 in the beer before bulk priming should I work on 18c or 2c.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm about to bulk prime a lager that had a diacetyl rest at 18c nere the end of fermentation. It was then lagered at 2c for a month. When working out the amount of C02 in the beer before bulk priming should I work on 18c or 2c.
Any help would be appreciated.
This is my whole point. If you work you way through all the calculations and work out how much sugar you need to get a suitable CO2 level when adding at 2degC or 20degC and than work out the carbonation level for serving at 4 deg it comes out to about 180g for 23l.

It is all too confusing for beginners, and only matters if you are force carbonating, not priming. If you check the table in the ARTICLES under Bulk Priming.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back