Why Still Use Srm + Lovibond?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdh

Reaction score
If the majority of malt sold in Australia is sold with EBC ratings why do we keep seeing recipes quoted on the AHB with wanky yanky doodle ratings.

Are brewers out there going to the trouble of converting EBC ratings over to SRM or Lovibond to keep someone happy?

If we standardised we would have fewer discrepancies between shared recipes for instance.

Hugh Bairds, Fawcetts, JWM, Hoepfner and Weyermann are all rated in EBC, what's the go?

tdh

:lol: I must say this has also bugged me for a while now! I use EBC for everything - it just makes more sense. No screwing around with conversions all the time.

You've got my vote for using EBC. Then again, since I already use it I don't need to convert anything (back... as the case may be ;) :p )

Me too, I'm all EBC all the way but a lot of brewers still use the SRM, even the nationals this year had colour stated in SRM for the different styles.

Why is this?

Top thread TDH :excl:
also same thing again, why do people use pounds per gallon? instead of L/kg? :blink:

D'yer maker
Jayse

I also agree it is a pain in the back side, which way to go?. The problem is with promash it states the colour as SRM. How do we get around this?

:beer:

Beer Slayer

go too options, system settings, malt colour.

You need to find out what the specs of the grains are that you use and put them in yourself. The Promash grains are USA available.

tdh

Anybody know if anything similar exists for Beersmith???

I believe David Lamotte did a similar thing for Beersmith. I know we supplied him with the Malt Craft data around the time that the Promash file became available. Try him on:

[email protected]

Wes

Ummm
I use ppg in all me calculations simply because I dont have promash or beersmith, cause I have an Apple, and when I started out using How to Brew, I found it just as easy to work it out on ppg and multiply the end result by 2.2 to get the kg required. Recently read Designing Great Beers (thanks Gough), and daniels uses the ppg method aswell, so I have worked out my own way of using their formula, giving me KG rather than lbs. Never found a way to calculate colour accurately, but if I did, I would be using EBC, cause thats what all my grains are rated in. I wouldnt say (as palmer exampled in his book) "I got 30ppg from my grain bill.", simply because it just sounds wanky, and I would NEVER get 30ppg from my grain bill! But thats why I use PPG for my calcs, simply because I am used to it, and using Palmers Hop utilisation table, I have to use gallons anyway, so working my grainbill out into gallons rather than litres is easier, I guess. Besides, 6 gallons is about 23L, so its one less number I have to type into the calculator...
All the best
Trent

Thanks Wes :beer:

I don't know how any times I have *tried* to find these sorts of updates on that site! And wouldn't you know it, I get the Joe White update just after I've bought 50kg of Powells malt!! :rolleyes: :p

Thanks again mate.

why on earth did they let cheryl crow touch that song,,OUCH"JUST BROUGHT BACK BAD MEMORIES

FERGI

Latest posts

Back