Why is my sight glass doing this

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
micro boiling in the sight glass, I believe
if that's on your kettle, I'd just remove it and plug the hole, the glass will get gunked up and be unable to be read eventually
sight glasses on kettles aren't really required

I guess, but once you're familiar with your rig, you should be pretty familiar with what you'll have in there after boil off and whatnot

Anyway of minimizing the blow hole effect as it comes out the top of the sight glass I am getting cause I like the sight glass and want to keep it

I assume you're gas fired?
Install a heat shield (a piece of stainless or something) under where the sight tube is, just enough to stop the flames/heat rising up to warm the sight glass, this should stop the boiling in the sight glass

Your right I thought it may be something like that cheers

Is dismantling the sight glass only way to clean it properly?

If you can get a long thin brush, you should be able to clean it out with that
pretty sure keg king sell something that's suitable

You could potentially whack a silicon bung in it during the boil to stop the issue.

Would need to remove it when taking readings of course

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Honestly I think there is just too much heat being applied and most is going up the sides.
Save some money and turn the gas down, should stop your problem too.
Nev
Your dead right I didnt notice till later but I was looking st my setup and noticed this had happened and this siys roughly 150-200mm away.i never have it up that but for some reason did that day.oh well that was gonna be upgrade soon anyway

I reckon those cheap chinese mash tuns/coolers would go up a treat too ;)

In my original set up I had a sight glass but it was a pain to clean so I got rid of it ,yeah I BIAB but am happy with my system .

I just got a line cleaner the other day from twoc .piece of piss to take the glass out and run the cleaner through it . first use of my new kettle though

Back