Why Is It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Just looking at a glass of knappstien.
How do they get it so clear?

I'd say filtering and an extended period at very low temperatures in a bright tank.

Double or triple filtering through 0.5 micron filter at cold temps will will turn a brew in to a clear bright beer that sparkles in the light. I have found however the beer needs to be pretty clear before filtering as it doesn't take much to choke up fine filters.

:icon_drool2: knappstien :icon_drool2: one of my fav beers. Strangely never poured it into a glass. how uncooth straight out of the bottle

:icon_drool2: knappstien :icon_drool2: one of my fav beers. Strangely never poured it into a glass. how uncooth straight out of the bottle

heathen :lol:

Just looking at a glass of knappstien.
How do they get it so clear?
filtering beer commercially can be a complex process. Firstly, the beer may be fined. Then it is kept at 0 deg.C for some time. Then it can be either filtered cold with what's known as diatomaceous earth filter or pad filtered on a plate and frame filter. I've done alot of diatomaceous earth filtration in my time. However, with time, even those very clear beers can form a haze, and this is another topic in itself.
Vince

There is a fine brewer in Bassendean that has clear clear clear beer. :rolleyes:

Bassendean huh? And here I thought the only good beer north of the river came from the Swan Valley... ;)

Im not that far away from the Valley, and I dont charge for my beer ! Katie is always welcome, she even brings me nice gifts..
GB

Yeah, will have to stop in on my next trip down that way. Im Currently gathering gear to do my first AG Brew, Dr.Smurto's AG Cherry Poppin Golden Ale.

I didn't think I made it that obvious..... who say's I was talking about you.

See you Friday stumbling around the showground?

Could also be crossflow filtered, then maybe sterile membrane filtered at the bottling line

DE filter's are old technology, dangerous for operators and not the greatest for quality. The MSBS lists DE as cancer causing.

For this reason most larger companies are trying to phase them out as a filtration option.

I have done a lot of DE filtration and although I always used a mask, I wonder if this stuff will become the asbestos of my generation.

I fought tooth and nail to get a crossflow filter installed, we now have 3 of them

I didn't think I made it that obvious..... who say's I was talking about you.

See you Friday stumbling around the showground?
Unless there is some else that makes clear beer in Bassendean ?
Yes I should make it, unless I have the flu, which it feels like today.I think I will have a beer now and see how I feel.Hope its not the swine job, could be out of action for a week.One of the kids at my daughter school has it.Fingers crossed.
Kirem when you say cross flow filtration are you talking Plate and Frame or membrane ?
GB

Kirem when you say cross flow filtration are you talking Plate and Frame or membrane ?

It uses a membrane but the flow is across the membrane, rather than dead ending into the membrane.

It always higher solids to be feed and the membrane to remain in service (not blinded)

Any solids that get 'caught up' in the membrane are removed by the flow of the feed.

Plate and frame are pad filters.

Could also be crossflow filtered, then maybe sterile membrane filtered at the bottling line

DE filter's are old technology, dangerous for operators and not the greatest for quality. The MSBS lists DE as cancer causing.

For this reason most larger companies are trying to phase them out as a filtration option.

I have done a lot of DE filtration and although I always used a mask, I wonder if this stuff will become the asbestos of my generation.

I fought tooth and nail to get a crossflow filter installed, we now have 3 of them

which brewery is that? Down South the big brewer still uses D.E. filtration.

Latest posts

Back