Why Is It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which brewery is that? Down South the big brewer still uses D.E. filtration.

Plenty of breweries use them. Some breweries are just behind with technology. A LOT of the big Up North Brewers use them. Heineken, Carlsberg, Coors, Bud etc....

My point wasn't who is and who isn't using them, it was just that DE is old technology and most breweries either have or will be moving away from it. I am pretty sure LN have crossflow filtration at a few sites and if I was responsible for the production of Knappstein Lager and it had to be filtered prior to bottling I would be asking to utilise a crossflow.

I know the winemaker at knappstein, I'll ask him the question and see if he is allowed to answer it.

If Abbotsford still want to use outdated technology then they must be able to justify it or they can't fit a crossflow unit into the budget. A lot of other Foster's sites have crossflow technology, including Cascade.

DE is just plain bad for quality and the dust is known to cause cancer. With risk reduction, it is becoming too dangerous to have it in the work place.

Crossflow has many advantages.

some reading....
http://www.pall.com/FoodandBev_Beer.asp?level1=0

hope this helps clear things up for you Vince.

Latest posts

Back