Why Is It So ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Made a interesting mistake. Brewed a Grumpys Longreach Masterbrew with a can of Grumpys low bitter goo. W-34/70 yeast. Brewed at 14C and lagered a month at 2C. 8 weeks in bottle. First taste - thought what's this muck !! tasted nothing like I was expecting (a dry quaffer). Then the passionfruit in the back came through. Drunk a bit more - what does this remind me of. Little Creatures Pale Ale. Had one in the fridge and did the side by side bit. LCPA was a bigger (cleaner ?) flavour but by comparison, my little extract wasn't too far behind. Done the test twice (got to be a little scientific here) and yes, I'm happy my extract is quite acceptable as an unintentional LCPA clone.
Point is, wasn't trying for that flavour and before having my first LCPA just a month ago, I didn't even know that you could get that type of flavour. But now I'm at least happy with my unintended result.
Is there a simple listing anywhere that lists the types of yeasts you need to get certain types of flavours. Or is it the malt plus yeast that gets the results?

Little Creatures gets that passionfruit flavour from Cascade hops imported from the US. What did you hop your brew with?

To get an LCPA from those ingredients would seem a little unusual but some have reported that w34/70 can give a fruitiness so perhaps that is what you are tasting.
Many people here have been enjoying s189, or swiss lager as it is sold as in some places, as a great clean dry lager yeast.
Potentially could be a little diacetyl there too...
As to the yeasts information...
You'll have to search around. The makers of the yeasts will give information, fermentis, white labs etc that gives suggested/intended flavours. Discussion groups such as this one will give more info. If I'm looking to use a yeast I haven't before I tend to search around the web a bit to see what others have said but you have to sift out the info...
It does depend on combination with malts and other ingredients too though. It isn't as straight up as this yeast gives this but if you use this yeast with the 'normal' malts etc for the sort of beers it normally works in you should come close...

Edit: just saw the above post. Reading godzillas I'd assumed he hadn't added any additional but hops would also come into play obviously...

I agree yeasts can add fruitiness to a beer, but LCPA-like passionfruit from an unhopped brew might indicate a happy infection.

I agree yeasts can add fruitiness to a beer, but LCPA-like passionfruit from an unhopped brew might indicate a happy infection.

Because it was someone else's combination of ingrediants (Grumpys) , I can say hoorah for happy infections / good /bad luck or whatever. It's funny though, the mystery of the brew. Do two brews the same (in your mind) and unknown material variations, temperature flucuations and perhaps the ways the moon and stars align will see you get different results.

Getting too philosophical - time for another beer !

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back