Why A Carboy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For lifting a carboy I place mine a milk carton. this makes it a lot easier to lift and gives it some protection from being knocked.

The one thing I do have a problem with is trying to keep the bung in when the carboy is slippery with starsan. I have resorted to sticking a short piece of 1" PVC hose in the neck and then the bung into the hose which seems to work.

Anyone have any solution to this or knows where you can get silicon carboy caps here in Australia?

Grain and grape sell silicon tapered bungs. Otherwise the old glad wrap and rubbeer band should be fine for primary.

+1 on better bottle. No odours, full visibility, unbreakable. I have a thick glass wine carboy that I dont use - scared I will drop it.
I also use the beerline supplied by betterbottle. Its barrier tubing and totally inert. I dont trust the basic vinyl or poly beerline - I think it taints beer ever so slightly.

I have just bottled my first brew, my Dad had a few carboys or as he calls them demijohns lying around at his place which he gave to me to start brewing. I agree about watching it ferment in glass, it's a beautiful thing.

I have just bottled my first brew, my Dad had a few carboys or as he calls them demijohns lying around at his place which he gave to me to start brewing. I agree about watching it ferment in glass, it's a beautiful thing.

Want to share 1 with a fellow beginner :) ??

Does anyone use a carboy cap?

carboy-caps.jpg

They do look a bit suspect don't they?

This bloke even sucks on them for his siphons.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/siphoning-carboy-cap-2910/

I use one all the time and it is fantastic.

I put my racking cane through the middle hole and then attach a sanitary filter on the other then blow in through the sanitary filter to start a syphon, easy peesy, sanitary etc.

yeah im keen, where did you get one john?

incider?

cheers,
sim

I use carboy caps with stainless steel siphon racking canes, tubing and hepa filter disks for the easiest "piece of piss" siphoning job you could ever do in brewing with no moving parts to break.

Carboys are an Mm'erican thing and most of the glass carboy factories have shut down (Mexico, etc.). You will find glass demijohns more readily in Oz, usually hand blown in Italy.

And a full better bottle will shatter just as readily as a full glass carboy or demijohn so I see no benefit to them. I'm fully kitted out with 19 glass fermenters from 5 to 54 litres capacity range as I can't decide what I want to brew next and don't want to wait for one to come onto an empty cycle :).

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

And a full better bottle will shatter just as readily as a full glass carboy or demijohn so I see no benefit to them. I'm fully kitted out with 19 glass fermenters from 5 to 54 litres capacity range as I can't decide what I want to brew next and don't want to wait for one to come onto an empty cycle :)

holy smokes, thats alot o glass, and some encouragement - last night i was reading about the horror stories and berieving my switch to glass. the stainless syphon style is what im chasing, start it with co2 etc. and il make my own adaption with a silicon bung if necessary, but the carbouy caps look lush, if i could find one in silicone id be all over em.

sim

Would have to agree on the strength of the glass carboys. Dropped one or two from 1+ meters and they bounce nicely.

The caps never touch any liquid in the glass demijohns, only the stainless racking cane and the contents of a glass demijohn is not at near boiling temperature so silicon is not required.

3010.jpg

http://morewinemaking.com/search/103266/be...ies_for_Carboys

We don't have all the parts in Oz to build it ourself at non-insane prices so I picked up 3 or 4 from the USA.

The whole kit only costs $14.95 (now $18.95/$19.95 from falling US Dollar).

**EDIT: If you want good deal on shipping from the USA even if sites won't or charge too much then Price USA (google them) will let you ship to their Oregon USA location and then get 65% off the price of FedEx shipping to Australia and won't give you any run arounds.

Now depending on the bulk deal you have to factor in some international shipping cost component, then shipping locally postage + packaging. To save on local posting costs if every local brew club in Australia participates then its only a single mini-bulk mailing to the club officer who will then bring them to the next meeting for all club members.

The easiest way to start a siphon. In 2 seconds you have your siphon working with no effort and no contamination as the hepa filter is involved (we can get the hepa filter locally but the price in Oz is close to $9 and then add shipping on top of that. So almost the whole price of the whole kit from the USA!)

The movie is here to see no moving parts to break, and siphon in seconds: Link to Movie of Siphon in action.
http://morebeer.com/public/video/siphonstartweb.mov

What you get in the kit:

26 inch Stainless Racking Cane (66 cm long)
Red Sediment Reduction Tip (on the bottom of the cane)
Yellow Carboy Hood for 6.5 Gallon Carboy (fits demijohns, carboys, anything you slide the rubber hood down and make a seal for the 2 seconds for starting siphon)
5' 3/8" ID Vinyl Tubing
Stainless Hose Clamp
Sterile Air Filter (hepa filter)

Of course this is for full size fermenters and would be big for 5 litres but if you buy and ship over a 5 litre size siphon you are stuck in case you want to use it with big fermenters. With the large fermenter kit you can look silly but still get it in a 5 litre glass Growler is my thinking.

From the site:

Simply blow into the sterile filter, which slightly pressurizes the carboy, causing beer to flow out. This is hands down superior to the numerous other methods of starting a siphon (and we have tried them all!) No sucking the end of the tube, no plungers with faulty gaskets, no shaking, no filling up the tube with unsterilized water, nothing to break, no contamination, no disturbing the sediment, and no fuss. Can you tell we really like it!

How to Use Attach the Sterile Siphon starter assembly by firmly pushing the orange or yellow carboy hood over the mouth of the carboy. Slide the stainless racking cane to the desired depth, just about the sediment level and blow into the white, sanitary air filter for 2-3 seconds. Blowing through the filter forces beer out through the racking cane, starting the siphon. There is no need to worry about contamination from your mouth, as the sanitary filter removes 99.98% of airborne bacteria. For a video demonstration, check out the video below.

Tip to Remove Oxygen in Line We suggest that as your starting the siphon you pinch the clear, flexible tubing near the racking cane. Release the pinch on the tubing after 1-2 seconds, while continuing to blow through for an additional second. This will cause the clear vinyl tubing to fill completely with beer, eliminating oxidation that can occur in siphoning when your line is not completely full and beer is mixing with oxygen.

Special Tip for Additional Use of Sterile Siphon Starter on Brew Day
During the brew day fill your carboy with sanitizer as normal. Take the red tip off the end of the stainless racking cane and insert Siphon Starter assembly into carboy filled with sanitizer. Blow on filter to begin siphoning sanitizer out of carboy. As the sanitizer empties the carboy fills with filtered air, leaving a sanitized, bacteria free environment to fill your beer into.

About the White Sterile Filter: There are two sides to the filter - an "in" and an "out". The direction you use doesn't matter, however, you want to take note of which way you first push air through it and always keep it that way. There is an arrow on the edge of the filter housing that we use to keep the air flow going one direction when using it. The filter should never get wet, so don't try and sanitize it by dunking it in sanitizer. If you want to clean the outside of it, use Alpet D2. To store the filter, use a little tinfoil on the "In" of the filter and store in a zip-lock bag.

sweet! iv got some hunting to do. im so finished with using (and endlessly throwing away) plastic screw in taps.

cheers,
sim

I use one all the time and it is fantastic.

I put my racking cane through the middle hole and then attach a sanitary filter on the other then blow in through the sanitary filter to start a syphon, easy peesy, sanitary etc.

+1

Latest posts

Back