Whoops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Well, you learn something new every day...

Was just bringing up some dme & water to the boil, to step up a starter - when...

Pyrex.jpg

Pyrex doesn't like direct heat :blink: At least it smells lovely :D ...

:blink:

Looks like Mrs. Ross may be getting a kitchen renovation :p

Just checked, both my pyrex jugs have printed on them, below the spout, "Not for lab or stovetop use."

I regularly use beakers and erlenmeyer flasks on the gas.

Goes well with my carboy Ross

pint of lager said:
Just checked, both my pyrex jugs have printed on them, below the spout, "Not for lab or stovetop use."

[post="105921"][/post]​

Wish mine had :angry: ... Stupidly assumed as my erlenmeyer was ok, it would be also...

Batz said:
[post="105925"][/post]​

OUCH!!! please tell me you didnt loose beer too?

Interesting, I thought all borosilicate glass could take direct heating.
Maybe the erlenmeyer's are annealed to relieve internal stresses?.

Looks similar to my brain fart of trying to make Candi Sugar in the microwave.

:excl: Don't do it in a Pyrex dish. I've still got the small scar to remind me that superheated sugar and exploding Pyrex aren't good when the sugar solution splashes on your arm. :eek:

Warren -

Batz said:
[post="105925"][/post]​

The top of that carboy would go remarkably well in a pub brawl Batz! :lol:

Warren -

Ross the surface has to be completely flat if you are going to use direct heat.

cheers
Darren

Or go to any homewares supplier and buy a heat diffuser... That's what they're for ;) You should use one for your flasks as well.

Used one for years on my Pyrex Percolator. It would resemble your pyrex jug if put directly on the heat.

Agro.

Agro,
Do heat diffusers work on electric elements? I've only used them with gas.

cheers
Darren

i use my pyrex jug in the microwave to boil water & lme. is this bad ? the glass does get warm ...

You can get diffusers for electric elements.

Cheers
Agro :)

Should be fine Redbeard. That is what they are designed for. Not boiling thich sugar though. Always do that in a pan.

cheers
Darren

agro said:
You can get diffusers for electric elements.

Cheers
Agro :)
[post="105997"][/post]​

What do they look like Agro? I have only seen wire and asbestos ones.

cheers
Darren

thanks for the pickie Ross! gave me a giggle i'm ashamed to say, terrible how we humans laugh at others misfortunes! No wonder funniest home videos still manages to get some sort of audience.

cheers

ps - just cracked a real bottle of forbidden fruit to remind me how crap my copy is of the real deal!

Ross, did the Pyrex actually break or shatter? Just interested if it sent glass around your kitchen, or confined to the stove top.

PhilS said:
Ross, did the Pyrex actually break or shatter? Just interested if it sent glass around your kitchen, or confined to the stove top.
[post="106013"][/post]​

Pretty well as you see it - sent a few splinters round the stove top, but couldnt find any in the carpet - no doubt my feet will find any I missed ...

I lost two Erlenmyer flasks on my stove. Virtually one after the other.
So now i use a saucepan :p
No need for the fancy name stuff anymore !

Back