Whoops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
Trying my hand at adding hops for the first time. I boiled some saaz hops up (30g for 5 mins) and added about a 1/4 of the liquid to the fermenter before I realised that I forgot to filter out the hops pellets.

Is this going to cause a problem/will it affect the flavour? Im guessin that the goodies are already out of the hop fragments and what's left will just settle out, but I want to check.

Dump the lot in... then add your yeast. It will settle out..

will probably help the flavour and aroma as your effectively dry hopping it a bit. You might have some problems when you rack into bottles/kegs with the tap clogging up thats all. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

JC,

I've tried (1)hop tea bag straight in the fermenter, (2) boiling sans bag, filtering then adding and (3) boiling sans bag 1 minute (with 3 tablespoons malt powder) and adding the lot to the fermenter. The last method works a treat, especially with Goldings hops, which adds a bewdiful flavour to the finished beer.

It will settle out.

cheers
Dave.

Great. Thanks again guys. I was worried for a sec :D

The only thing i've found is that the aroma you get from a previously boiled hop can be a little off.

James i've done the same once before but the results where o.k.,not a bad idea to whack it though a filter if you got one just to take any floaties out.

James i've done the same once before but the results where o.k.,not a bad idea to whack it though a filter if you got one just to take any floaties out.

Yeah, I filtered most of it through a bit of old (clean) sheet. Only about 1/4 of it got through, so its probably somewhere less than 5 grams of hops actually in the fermenter.

I think Ill invest in a fine sieve next time though.

um thanks for your post, when ever i add hops im never bothered ever straining the hops out before i add it to the fermenter. Mabey i should

Back