Whoops..... American Altbier/german Red.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycostin

Reaction score
Well, I think I've done it this time.... Churned out 2 AG brews on Monday night, one St Rogues Red Clone and a German Altbier. All seemed to go well - no real probs, got them through to the cubes and no chilled them over the past day and a half.

Then about 3 hrs ago I pitched the yeasts - a Wyeast Kolsch and American Ale II. Then about 5 mins too late I realised.... I'm getting close to 100 percent that I pitched in reverse! :(

I've read through the Wyeast literature, and I know there's differences, but I'm fermenting them both at a constant 16-17deg for the first week, followed by a week at about 18-19 and then 1 day diacetal rest at about 24. Will then keg and condition at about 12C for prob 2 weeks whilst I do some lagers in the same fridge.

So my question is - what do you all think? Will there be a massively different taste? I'm expecting some, but my view is that they should both be slightly off style, but still very drinkable...

I think you'll enjoy your Saltbier Germ Clone and a Rogue AlteRed bier.

(Disclaimer: this is not based on research of effects of the relevant yeast in said conditions. I used other skills).

whilst the old "brewers make wort, yeast makes beer" always holds true you also have to remember that whilst yeast selection is important, it is not, for most beer styles, at the top of priorities.
forget whether you swapped the yeast or not, neither will be any more off style than had you not reversed.

K

at 16 or 17 you probably won't notice...they'll both ferment clean and clear. The Kolsch yeast can add a winey/fruitiness at higher temps and it may work well. But make sure you get all the yeast to drop out. That Kolsch yeast can be difficult but in saying that I've had it drop bright quickly.

In terms of style - no-one will know.

In my experience, both are a reasonably neutral yeast at low temps. The Kolsh one does present some fuity characteristics at higher temps.
I wouldnt worry about it in the slightest.
I have definately seen recipies for Kolsh calling for American Yeast in BYO mag, and the Alt, if anything, is just gonna taste even more like JSAA than you expected.
As an experiment, I reckon you should immediately brew the same beers again and use the slurry off both of them to ferment them with the RIGHT yeasts, and see what you can tell us about the differences.
Thats beer art/science right there.
:)

Thanks for the responses - was expecting (hoping) that would be the response....

In my experience, both are a reasonably neutral yeast at low temps. The Kolsh one does present some fuity characteristics at higher temps.
I wouldnt worry about it in the slightest.
I have definately seen recipies for Kolsh calling for American Yeast in BYO mag, and the Alt, if anything, is just gonna taste even more like JSAA than you expected.
As an experiment, I reckon you should immediately brew the same beers again and use the slurry off both of them to ferment them with the RIGHT yeasts, and see what you can tell us about the differences.
Thats beer art/science right there.
:)

I'll do my best to whip up another batch of each - may be another week or two before I can, but I would like to do the comparo.

Don't worry about it too much. I put a wheatbeer yeast into an APA and a Cali ale yeast in a wheat beer. Interesting flavours, not too bad blended either, but lesson well learnt. Label everything and always check twice!

Well, I think I've done it this time.... Churned out 2 AG brews on Monday night, one St Rogues Red Clone and a German Altbier. All seemed to go well - no real probs, got them through to the cubes and no chilled them over the past day and a half.

Then about 3 hrs ago I pitched the yeasts - a Wyeast Kolsch and American Ale II. Then about 5 mins too late I realised.... I'm getting close to 100 percent that I pitched in reverse! :(

I've read through the Wyeast literature, and I know there's differences, but I'm fermenting them both at a constant 16-17deg for the first week, followed by a week at about 18-19 and then 1 day diacetal rest at about 24. Will then keg and condition at about 12C for prob 2 weeks whilst I do some lagers in the same fridge.

So my question is - what do you all think? Will there be a massively different taste? I'm expecting some, but my view is that they should both be slightly off style, but still very drinkable...

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up closer to style than you think with the Red. Listened to an old episode of Basic Brewing Radio recently where a listener did split batch experiment with multiple yeast strains using an APA (or perhaps IPA) recipe all fermented at ~17C. They were all surprised by the Kolsh yeast as it fermented neutrally, and highlighted the hops better than all of the other yeasts.

I've just pitched a batch of APA with Kolsh yeast which I'm fermenting at 17C.

Really interested to see how yours turns out!

Latest posts

Back