Whitelabs Equivalent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good reference page or know what the Whitelabs equivalent are for Wyeast 1968, 1028, 1007, 1187?

Cheers
MAH

I seem to have picked up an infeasible number of white labs to wyeast charts. Here are just a couple.
It's interesting to note on those lists that Wyeast 1007 German Ale and 2565 Kolsch are equivalent to one Whitelabs Yeast WLP029 German.

Is this marketing hype on behalf of Wyeast, is the Whitelabs strain just so good or is it more to do with fermentation temperatures or something else?

What are peoples experiences? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Are these approximations or exactly equivalent. I've used Whitelabs 005 and also used Wyeast 1187 and IMHO they're not the same strain? I'm guessing that quite a few on these lists are just close substitutes not exact same strains.

Cheers
MAH

I think the problem with these charts, doglet, is that since the yeast companies are not always able to divulge the sources of their yeast some of the comparisons are just guesswork. (if breweries ask for this not to be divulged, then they have to abide by this.) I think the idea is just to provide the closest equivalent, which may not be exactly the same yeast, but should yield fairly close results. I suppose that's why they have compared the two wyeast yeasts to the one white labs yeast.

Are these approximations or exactly equivalent. I've used Whitelabs 005 and also used Wyeast 1187 and IMHO they're not the same strain? I'm guessing that quite a few on these lists are just close substitutes not exact same strains.

Cheers
MAH

In one table the WLP005 is listed as a sub for the 1187, 1098 and 1332 Wyeasts. Personally, I don't even think those Wyeasts are that close to each other.
Caveat emptor.

I think the problem with these charts, doglet, is that since the yeast companies are not always able to divulge the sources of their yeast some of the comparisons are just guesswork. (if breweries ask for this not to be divulged, then they have to abide by this.) I think the idea is just to provide the closest equivalent, which may not be exactly the same yeast, but should yield fairly close results. I suppose that's why they have compared the two wyeast yeasts to the one white labs yeast.
True. There's nothing like actually trying them out for yourself and seeing if they provide the characteristics that you're after.

Well I can't be bothered with testing these yeast myself. Simple answer then is to stick with what I know and like, so it's Wyeast for me.

Cheers
MAH

I think the line that refers to Wy Forbidden Fruit as the same as WL Sweet Mead says it all.

Brent

That looks a more credible list.
Now I just have to confirm by doing the comparo myself I s'pose.
:party:

It's the same list as the first one I attached. :blink:

Best to check it out for yourself. :chug:

That looks a more credible list.
Now I just have to confirm by doing the comparo myself I s'pose.

It's the same list as the first one I attached. :blink:

Best to check it out for yourself. :chug:

Whoops. :(

Sorry, Stu.
I looked more closely at the Excel you posted which is the same or pretty close to the pdf posted on this thread as well.
I stoop humbly corrected.

Best to check it out for ourselves.
:D

yep it is the same, I posted the link just to save the downloading.

Latest posts

Back