Whirlpool Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
hey I have read a bit about whirlpool hopping and am wondering who does this?? I thought I would post it here as I just done a extract with a whirlpool hop addition (i know you dont have to whirlpool for extract but I only did for hopping purposes).

What are peoples methods for this?? I just turned heat off took pot off the burner and added hops stired a whirlpool for a min or 2 and the put the lid on the pot let it sit for 15-20 mins then chill the pot in a bath of water. I am not sure how it will go with a 15lt boil and all the malt added last few mins. I figured its not about the bitterness but more so the flavour and aroma. Will this be effected with a high gravity wort?

Also would be good how people work out the bitterness? I just put it in as a 10min addition would this be right or not? Kinda jumped in the deep end but who knows it may work it may not lol

I used 3kg LDME
200g dex
10g POR @ 60mins
63g cascade @ whirlpool
22g nelson sav @ whirlpool

will be a 23lt batch the cascade and nelson I went over as thats how it came out the packet couldnt be arsed taking out a few grams so just left it at that lol

The concept of whirlpool hopping goes hand in hand with the concept of whirlpool chilling.
The idea (and indeed the reality) is that the a cooling system that incorporates a whirlpool will cool the whole of the wort very quickly (I am not answering this to advocate fast chill vs any other chill btw), in doing so the hop aroma from the hops addd at whirlpool will be far more apparent than hops merely added at the end of the boil and then chilled by a platechiller, counterflow chiller, unassisted immersion chiller or just not chilling .

K

yeah makes sence. I did read some where in homebrew case they let it sit with lid on for 15-20 mins but thats one source each one I come across seems to be different. I wanted to do just a bittering addition and the rest whirlpool why I wanted to leave it rest before chilling. Usually takes me about 15mins to get it below 60c with what I use. If it lacks aroma once fermentation ends may dry hop but not overly just enough to give its backbone back lol

My understanding of why you whirpool is get collect all the trub into the centre of the kettle and away from the pick up tube or collection point so that you avoid getting much of this gunk into the fermenter. This can be done as part of a chilling system (whirlpool immersion chiller) to chill the whole batch at once or before draining the kettle through a chiller or straight into a cube.

I currently no-chill - so to get a little more hop aroma into my beers I will hop at flame out, let it sit until the convection currents in the kettle settle down then whirlpool the kettle with my brew spoon and add the whirlpool hops, let it sit for 15 min then drain to the cube. I calculate the hop utilization at around 5% for the whirlpool addition.

Epic do something similar to this - minus the cube - for their Pale Ale.

alot of the microbreweries whirlpool hop and the majority of there hops are added at whirlpool. So I figured to try to get closer to the real deal its prob best to try add hops when they add the hops.

I hop in the whirlpool. I use this as a aroma addition. At flameout I turn on whirlpool and immersion chiller and leave for 2 min then add aroma addition. I keep whirlpool going for about 30 mins with the chiller and then stop the whirlpool and chill for about another 10 min. This gets it's down to mid 20 deg depending on the chilling water temp. The temp drops very quickly from boiling so no ibu counted. It works quite well.

I hop in the whirlpool. I use this as a aroma addition. At flameout I turn on whirlpool and immersion chiller and leave for 2 min then add aroma addition. I keep whirlpool going for about 30 mins with the chiller and then stop the whirlpool and chill for about another 10 min. This gets it's down to mid 20 deg depending on the chilling water temp. The temp drops very quickly from boiling so no ibu counted. It works quite well.

So you use a pump and recirc from the tap to create the whilrpool?

Yep use march pump to recirculate the wort and tank water for chiller.

well Just tried a sample out of the fermenter, there was good hop aroma and good bitterness also the flavours are def there even though its prob 80% threw fermenting considering it was just ldme little dex and hops this tastes so bloody nice its more hop drivin so I think I accomplished what I aimed out for, I am not sure if I should dry hop or not but this will be a brew I think thats will be on my taps alot

i dunno just a fat yak clone (not sure what style that is) attempt just wanted to try get the hops right then go from there

Latest posts

Back