Which Yeast Goes With Which Tin?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got:

1 tin Morgan Stockman's Draught
1 tin Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Also so have some S23 and some US05

Any thoughts on if one of these would be suitable to use in either tin?

Just doing a standard K&K and maybe add some LDME. Yes I have temp control.

Cheers,

Hendo.

1 of my favourite brews uses us05 with the cerveza can. I add a fair few hops though. Not sure what the results would be like without the hops. Gotta go play indoor cricket now. Can post with more detail later.

1 tin Morgan Stockman's Draught
1 tin Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Also so have some S23 and some US05

Any thoughts on if one of these would be suitable to use in either tin?
I'm sure either would work fine with both.
But if it was me I'd pair the S23 with the Cerveza, ferment it about 12 and lager it for a nice clean finish.
Then use the US05 with the Draught, an extra kg of malt for more body, ferment it around 18 bring out a few of the yeast esters balanced by the bit of extra maltyness.

ferment it around 18 bring out a few of the yeast esters balanced by the bit of extra maltyness.
[/quote]

Sorry Wolfy.. Im reading this as though you actually want a certain amount of the esters? I thought it (temp controll) was all about keeping the esters out of the beer.. Im confused... :blink:

Sorry Wolfy.. Im reading this as though you actually want a certain amount of the esters? I thought it (temp controll) was all about keeping the esters out of the beer.. Im confused...
It's all about what you're looking to create.
Take your CPA yeast for example, fermenting it hot (25-30C) would create a beer with an overpowering banana/fruit smell/flavour, ferment it at 18-20C and you'll have subtle notes of the various yeast flavours/esters balanced with the hops and malt - which is what you want for the style. Ferment the same wort with something like US05 and you'd have a beer with very little yeast character but it would not really be an "Australian Ale". With some beers you specificlly choose a yeast and fermentation temperature to highlight the flavours the yeast provide.

What I was suggesting above was a clean crisp Cerveza and a 'heavier' Stockman's Draught that has an ale-type character (but have no idea if this is what the OP would enjoy or not, which is the most important thing).

if your after a clean crisp Cerveze id go with your choice and add the s-23 and keep the temps low...also diacetyl rest, hopefully achieving a clean crisp lager.... and for the heavier stockmans i go the us-04 as it will ferment out clean but bulk it up with a good amount of malt.
my 2c
eddy

ferment it around 18 bring out a few of the yeast esters balanced by the bit of extra maltyness.

Sorry Wolfy.. Im reading this as though you actually want a certain amount of the esters? I thought it (temp controll) was all about keeping the esters out of the beer.. Im confused... :blink:

It's about keeping both unwanted esters and unwanted amounts out.

Depends on beer, personal taste etc but some esters are sometimes desirable, some never are.

For producing fruity esters, I'd say that US05 @18C is cleaner than S23 @ 12C. YMMV.

The one big critique I got when making Aussie Lagers with S23 was "fruitiness". With 34/70 no fruit at all both at 11C.

The first and last time I ever made an ale at 18C with US05 it came out bland - which is great if you want your ales to taste like lagers.

US05 is The Perfect Yeast for APAs that are hop driven and you want only the hop(s) to shine through. If you try to coax esters out of US05 you often get fusels with them.

I would also brew the Cerveza with the S23, it'd be nice.

Here's something different,

Do a twocan using a yeast blend.
Ferment it @ 15 - 16 degrees.

The obvious would be the Cerveza with the lager yeast and Draught with the ale yeast but something different can be acheived and perhaps could be something special.

Thanks guys... I went back and looked at the yeast packets - It is a little obvious which way to go! Hadn't realised
us05 is an ale yeast - so I'll go that way:
Draught US05
Cerveza S23
My kegs are dry so think I'll run the draught 1st (thinking it will ferment out a little faster?) I'm open to suggestions - K&K or should I be adding a bit of malt? I also have in the fridge in pellets:
Cascade
Amarillo
Fuggles
Goldings
Hallertau

I'm just after something fairly easy drinking.

Cheers,
Again :)

For producing fruity esters, I'd say that US05 @18C is cleaner than S23 @ 12C. YMMV.

The one big critique I got when making Aussie Lagers with S23 was "fruitiness". With 34/70 no fruit at all both at 11C.

The first and last time I ever made an ale at 18C with US05 it came out bland - which is great if you want your ales to taste like lagers.

US05 is The Perfect Yeast for APAs that are hop driven and you want only the hop(s) to shine through. If you try to coax esters out of US05 you often get fusels with them.

I would also brew the Cerveza with the S23, it'd be nice.

As much as it hurts and I agree with your disclaimer............................+1

:lol:

Screwy

Back