Which way to go ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAC

Reaction score
Hey people, I want to move to all grain. Do I convert 50lt keg for BIAB ( fittings, burner, temp gauge ect ) or buy a burko 40lt urn for doing full vol ?? I know I'm up for at least $300 ( all good )
Already have the keg & would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers. DAC

Swings and roundabouts really. Do you want something you can pull out of the box and brew with that day or do you want to play around with tools building a rig yourself?

That said, the additional 10L volume space maybe handy if you want to brew 25 - 27L batches. Also bare in mind that you will eventually want to replace the urn tap with a ball valve, so you can account for an extra $40 there.

If you have the keg and feel you have the skill/inclination to do so, why not?

If you have the tools, electric may also be a better option than a gas burner if you've not considered it.

If you already have the keg it would cost maybe $20 for the ball valve and another $10-50 for the element. Thermometer less than $30.

Much cheaper than an urn or gas setup.

I reckon go with the keg and see how you go. Cheaper for you at the moment and later down the track you can buy an Ern giving you 2 parts of a 3V setup if you wanted to get out of BIAB later.

Since you've already got the keg I'd be inclined to cut the top out of it, buy an italian spiral burner or similar with a medium pressure reg (or electric element) and a $10 swiss voile bag. You can then start brewing and learning the basics of AG BIAB while you gather the extra bits and pieces to extend your brewery, if you choose too.

Put an element into your legally acquired keg- no more than $50 for a ready to go one. Then when you move to 3V it can be your HLT. With the money you save on the urn you can buy a green pump, stc1000, herms coil, abode kettle, some hose and fittings. Then you will have a recirculated BIAB for under your budget of $300.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Put an element into your legally acquired keg- no more than $50 for a ready to go one. Then when you move to 3V it can be your HLT. With the money you save on the urn you can buy a green pump, stc1000, herms coil, abode kettle, some hose and fittings. Then you will have a recirculated BIAB for under your budget of $300.

Cheers
Is there a picture of this type of set up ... is it complicating some thing that is designed with simplicity as it's purpose?

KingKong said:
Is there a picture of this type of set up ... is it complicating some thing that is designed with simplicity as it's purpose?
Seen a few guys on here do this. I am 3V myself but if no-one posts a pic up by tomorrow arv, I will set my mash tun up and take a pic with all that gear to show how simple it is. I have set it up and used it like that for my own entertainment. Will be taking it away with me when I work away so I have something to do of an evenin.

cheers

Love this forum & that's why I put it out there. Mechanically I'm all good, great feedback. Makes sence to utilise the keg and would look the part in me man cave. Totally understand where this will eventually send me in time ( 3V ) but for moment BIAB till I get me wings.

bradsbrew said:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/67670-kaixin-pumps/?hl=%2Bgreen+%2Bpump

Bought one of these from CB long before that thread started. Its still going strong and still as quiet as the day it was new.
Aah yes, I suspected it might be that thread.. I was spewing at the time that I missed out, pretty sure I saw them out at keg king the other week.. as Im due to go out to the BB coming up, I might have to have a closer lookee-see

:icon_cheers:

DAC said:
Love this forum & that's why I put it out there. Mechanically I'm all good, great feedback. Makes sence to utilise the keg and would look the part in me man cave. Totally understand where this will eventually send me in time ( 3V ) but for moment BIAB till I get me wings.
You don't need to grow wings.
I'd be seriously looking at this.
If you decide you want to spend a little bit of money ( skills dependent ) & head down the 3V route to make great beer than go for your life, the choice is yours.
If you want to keep things ridiculously simple & still make great ( identical ) beer, than the urn is great for Biab. Plug it in & away you go.

G'day DAC,

I went to an electric urn for BIAB mainly due to the following reasons...

- Can brew in a confined space or sometimes indoors (I live in a shoebox)
- Can use a power point timer to start heating water before I get up on a brew day
- Don't have to worry about always having full gas bottles

Either way, BIAB is a great simple way to make all grain beer...you'll love it!! :beerbang:

bradsbrew said:

Cheers
I dont really see the cost benefit of building a recirculated BIAB rig. All that money spent to chase a few gravity points?

DAC said:
Hey people, I want to move to all grain. Do I convert 50lt keg for BIAB ( fittings, burner, temp gauge ect ) or buy a burko 40lt urn for doing full vol ?? I know I'm up for at least $300 ( all good )
Already have the keg & would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers. DAC
Keg, bag, heat source, beer. <$300 (way under)

If you want to build a system that involves more at a later point (due mainly to enjoying building and tinkering) then your vessel will not go astray.

Back