Which pump to buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simdop

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help with acquiring a pump for my brew rig. I've got two 50L kegs with the tops cut off and some half inch taps welded in. Ones the mash tun and the other is the kettle.

After visiting a micro brewery I realised the awesomeness of pumps, so I want to do that rather than a gravity feed. So many benefits.

I tried my local home brew shop and he ordered in a pump for me which was a cheap knock off of a March pump. Pretty much the same as this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/809-FOOD-GRADE-MAGNETIC-Drive-Polysulfone-PUMP-Beer-Brewing-Mashing-Wort-March-/300954887225?pt=AU_Pumps&hash=item46124f2439&_uhb=1

He also got me some half inch bsp screw on disconnects and some silicone hose to make up my hoses. However, the thread on the pump shat itself when I screwed on the disconnects, so I'm going to return that to him. I had a lead from the brewery about a spare American march pump but that has failed.

I've also seen on here to a Herm pump with Gryphon? http://gryphonbrewing.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=597&osCsid=bb57r44mt2u3l26ntumh4anc40

So can anyone offer some advice on where to get a pump? Ideally I would like to use some disconnects that I can get from my home brew guy (like an air system style) for now. Ultimately I would like to plumb it properly but it is a slow build in progress.

Would love some guidance and advise. I'm potentially looking at the tesco site in the US too but it seems expensive and a long way to get a pump. I'm after 240v and the ability to throttle it by partially opening one of the taps...

i have a kaixin pump. I think that's the type you tried. The plastic thread is a bit crap, but otherwise I have found it to be good.

Check out the chugger pumps, they have a stainless head and are a little cheaper than march pumps. Still kind of expensive though.

I have run a march and now a chugger... I have nothing bad to say about either.

The chugger head is awesome tho, you could hang your house off the SS head.

I have many a mate use the little brown pumps and report them as disposable, "Oh it was only $40.." works for 3 brews..

BUY ONCE, BUY RIGHT.

2.3c. [seasonably adjusted]

Where's the best place to look for a chugger or March?

I haven't heard of Alibaba?

March have been around for a long time and have a great track record. They do still run a plastic type head so no fat fingers doing up the fittings. I run one on my 3V. Tesco pumps have them

Chugger are a newer pump and run a stainless head which is good if you want bling and feel safer doing up your fittings. Not sure about the comment earlier that they are cheaper than March pumps as to me they are more expensive (march 153+55 post=208, vs chugger 199+post=a bit more). They have had an issue with overheating, but the new batch of motors seem to have it sorted out. There is an Australian distributor

Kaixin are like what you got, and are fairly cheap and so far have been reliable. Same thing plastic head, so don't get too energetic doing up fittings. Have a search on here and you will find heaps of info and how to order, expect to pay about $60 odd. I run the bigger mp-20 on my 1V and have had no issues.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the price difference. But if you want local support and buy from an Aussie retailer the march pumps seem a fair bit dearer. Would suck having to pay $58 to return the pump to the US if anything went wrong.

Also KegKing sell the kaixin pump for $65. Pretty much what I paid for mine through alibaba.

Is the chugger magnetic drive or via shaft?

How does it compare to the HERM-IT ULTIMISER BREWERY PUMP?

I'm preferring local as its a bit easier.

Chugger is magnetic drive and comes with the pump bracket included. So add on another $35 when comparing local March pump vs local chugger.

Chugger has stainless steel head which is again an extra cost for the march pump, so add on more $$ to compare same feature set.

I can't give any experience on long term reliability of chugger as I am still building my brew system and am yet to use the pump. I couldn't really find any complaints or problems on the US home brew forums where it has been released for quite a while. And you know how people love to complain on the Internet.....

I did a 2 hour mash temp and then raise to boil for 45 minutes test on my pump without a rest after receiving a replacement because original suffered from the over-heating Kev mentioned above. Replacement all worked normally. I've no idea how hot the march pumps run, but the chugger does run fairly hot. I think I will be building in a little fan to help recirc air on the pump during brew sessions, but probably not necessary.

Edit: added my test details.

Simdop said:
Is the chugger magnetic drive or via shaft?

How does it compare to the HERM-IT ULTIMISER BREWERY PUMP?

I'm preferring local as its a bit easier.

Chugger, March and Kaixin are magnetic drive, Ultimiser is not.

I can't comment on a comparison for the Ultimiser as I've not heard much about them.

Get a bulk buy happening and these Kaixin are only $30 each. Otherwise contact the seller he may be happy to put up a listing of qty 1 (but maybe at a slightly higher price)

I've done a bit of digging around on here and it seems that the Ultimiser is shaft driven. Its supposed to be faster than a mag drive and it doesn't clog like a mag drive would?

gryphonbrewing is out of stock of them anyway so I'm tempted to just look at getting the Chugger. I like the idea of a metal head a lot more.

Honestly, if you pick any of the ones above I think you should get many great years of brewing from it. My pick would be the Kaixin, just because you can get 3 pumps for the price of one of the others.

QldKev said:
Chugger, March and Kaixin are magnetic drive, Ultimiser is not.

I can't comment on a comparison for the Ultimiser as I've not heard much about them.

Get a bulk buy happening and these Kaixin are only $30 each. Otherwise contact the seller he may be happy to put up a listing of qty 1 (but maybe at a slightly higher price)
I'm in the market for a Kaixin pump, so if anyone wants to do a bulk buy, I'd be in

Thanks for all the help, thanks a lot of sense.

Angus, I've found the post for the build up for your system and I like it a lot. Especially the camlocks. They're way better than the solution I had in mind. How are you finding them? Working well?

I am still in the building phase, but getting close to doing a test run. Just need to finalise sealing for the threaded rod and I can start doing some test water flows through the malt pipe and heating/recirc tests.

So basically all I can say now is that the cam-locks do not leak. They are handy for disconnecting the silicon hoses when packing away. I can't tell you how much heat loss through the silicon occurs, or really any other info. You've posted on the Brewton thread, so I will post updates there. :D

Back