Which mill for me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraser's BRB

Reaction score
To date I have been buying grain pre-cracked and as a result have had little control over that side of my mash efficiency.

I recently bought a 25kg bag of Marris Otter that was milled much finer than my usual bags of grain and I achieved a significant gain in mash efficiency (recipe was written at 60%, over several brews, figured out I was getting at least 65% with this bag).

Given that I brew almost every week (23L brews) and can't always rely on getting to the LHBG's mill all the time, I should invest in a decent mill. But which one?

I've read a fair bit on various sites and done some searches on here, but find a lot of conflicting and confusing information as well as dated information. My LHBG sells the Maltmuncher 2 and 3 roller mills (and I have store credit, so that's handy), but are they any good? If they are, do I want 2 or 3 rollers?

I would also be looking to invest in a motor to drive it.

Understand this has probably been covered to death on another part of the forum, but if anyone could point me in the direction of a good discussion on this or offer informed opinion, it would be much appreciated.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/86495-Knurling-on-a-Mashmaster-Mini-Mill

Thoughts on a great product support example.

I get plenty of good feelz when I remember this one.

Edit: so, where brands differentiate in a meaningful way is with support. $50 here or there.... Whatever. A mill to me is a fixture, like my shed or fireplace. It needs to be good long term. Mashmaster are the real deal. Debate is healthy, but experiences shape our choices.

It is a long thread, but you will see the brewing community experience Masmaster help with the minimill.

I just sent 10kg through mine again last night. 82% efficiency and full flow rate on recirc and sparge.

I am totally content with this brewing item! And if I'm in strife, it will be sorted!

Fraser's BRB said:
To date I have been buying grain pre-cracked and as a result have had little control over that side of my mash efficiency.

I recently bought a 25kg bag of Marris Otter that was milled much finer than my usual bags of grain and I achieved a significant gain in mash efficiency (recipe was written at 60%, over several brews, figured out I was getting at least 65% with this bag).

Given that I brew almost every week (23L brews) and can't always rely on getting to the LHBG's mill all the time, I should invest in a decent mill. But which one?

I've read a fair bit on various sites and done some searches on here, but find a lot of conflicting and confusing information as well as dated information. My LHBG sells the Maltmuncher 2 and 3 roller mills (and I have store credit, so that's handy), but are they any good? If they are, do I want 2 or 3 rollers?

I would also be looking to invest in a motor to drive it.

Understand this has probably been covered to death on another part of the forum, but if anyone could point me in the direction of a good discussion on this or offer informed opinion, it would be much appreciated.
I use one of the Keg King 2 roller mills, that I'm guessing you've been looking at over at Country Brewer Maitland?
It's a good unit but over time (I think 3 or 4 years) my bearings have gummed up to the point that I need to replace them, possibly due to my slackness with cleaning them
KK have given me the bearing type I need so I'll be replacing them soon
I power mine with a 800w drill, it cranks through all types of grain easily and they're fairly cheap at Bunnings.
I admit you can get them a little cheaper through other sources, but I'm happy to support Digga and the crew as they're so helpful and friendly so I gladly pay a little more (plus you get the store credit ;) )

Here's an option from one of our site sponsors. http://www.mashmaster.com/ No affiliation etc

I bought their original mill when it was first released about 8 years ago. Never missed a beat, and it's as good as the day I bought it.
I hand mill, because it leaves the husk more intact and gives me a quicker and easier run off and sparge.

Or....make one...

The hardest bit will be getting the knurled rollers made, but its not an impossible task, then at least you are free to make it whatever size you want and power it with whatever you want

Go for something with larger rollers, they work better. I wouldnt go under 50mm ( or 2" ) for roller size

But if you want something decent without all the fun of building one yourself then fork out the quills and get a Mashmaster Mill fluted mill and the Motion Dynamics motor ( there is a seperate thread for that particular unit ) https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/home-brewer-special-worm-drive-motor-dc-speed-controller.html

You wont get any change out of $430 but it is a mill setup that will last forever and do a great job everytime for years

I used to work at the Royal children's hospital and soon came across spare wheelchair motors. An excellent option. Find a wheelchair repair mob, offer beer and you should come away with one for 0-50 bucks.

DC-DC power controller (eBay) $12

Beefcake laptop power supply driving 19V into your controller.

You're away. Switch modes can deliver lots of amps and have current overload, so if the rollers eat, say, your finger, then it will hurt but you won't loose it like you would if it was not such a clever power supply.

Lastly, lovejoy coupler. $50 including getting a machinist to bore to your mill's and wheelchair drive shaft's diameters.

Such a satisfying build

Get the new fluted roller type, hearing lots of good things with them..

Pity my monster 3 roller will last a lifetime or I'd be all over them...

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I used to work at the Royal children's hospital and soon came across spare wheelchair motors. An excellent option. Find a wheelchair repair mob, offer beer and you should come away with one for 0-50 bucks.
DC-DC power controller (eBay) $12
Beefcake laptop power supply driving 19V into your controller.
You're away. Switch modes can deliver lots of amps and have current overload, so if the rollers eat, say, your finger, then it will hurt but you won't loose it like you would if it was not such a clever power supply.
Lastly, lovejoy coupler. $50 including getting a machinist to bore to your mill's and wheelchair drive shaft's diameters.
Such a satisfying build
Build thread required..

Ok,

This is my old stereo cabinet with record player top mill.

Dust free using some trouser leg. Shut the glass and watch her go. Hopper is coming up. Bucket for now.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463726808.503190.jpg

My spare roller in bubble wrap at the back. Bloody love Mashmaster!

I found my build notes, will do a step by step and post it up when motivation/time permits.

Any question and I'm happy to help- as always

sp0rk said:
I use one of the Keg King 2 roller mills, that I'm guessing you've been looking at over at Country Brewer Maitland?
It's a good unit but over time (I think 3 or 4 years) my bearings have gummed up to the point that I need to replace them, possibly due to my slackness with cleaning them
KK have given me the bearing type I need so I'll be replacing them soon
I power mine with a 800w drill, it cranks through all types of grain easily and they're fairly cheap at Bunnings.
I admit you can get them a little cheaper through other sources, but I'm happy to support Digga and the crew as they're so helpful and friendly so I gladly pay a little more (plus you get the store credit ;) )
Yeah, that's my local and that's the mill I've been considering.. Happy to support Digga, BB and Louis, as you've rightly pointed out, they are very friendly and helpful. 90% of my brewing ingredients and 100% of my kegging gear came from there.

The mill will be my single biggest purchase in regards to brewing gear to date and something that, from what I'm seeing, should be with me for many years. I'd heard good things about the Mashmaster Millmaster that Warra48 linked above and several others had waxed lyrical about. Prior to your post I'd heard very little about the KK Maltmuncher.

What I had heard, in relation to other products, was some negativity around the quality of some KK stuff. So I have been hesitant.

On another note, it appears that most on here have 2 roller mills, so no love/need for the 3 rollers?

I'm still undecided, but I have at least 20kg of cracked base malt to work through before I have to make a decision, so I've got time to think about it.

Mashmaster Fluted. This is the mill the world has been waiting for. Just sayin'.

I can say more, but honestly it would bore the **** out of me at the moment.

I'd go the Mashmaster Fluted as well. I have a Mashmaster but I bought mine back when they were knurled rollers. Recently had a fluted roller sent out as a replacement when the thing stopped pulling grains through properly and since having the "hybrid" of one knurled and one fluted it's been much better.Way better crush, hardly any flour, efficiency has improved as well. I use a reasonably coarse crush even though I brew BIAB but it works for me.

I can imagine the two fluted roller ones would be just as good if not better.

No affiliation yadda yadda...

Fraser's BRB said:
On another note, it appears that most on here have 2 roller mills, so no love/need for the 3 rollers?
Stick with 2 roller. Much easier and cheaper

If you can still get them, absolutely nothing wrong with the good old Marga Mulino 3 roller. Simple mod to adjust gap for "normal" or "BIAB" crushes and the handle that comes with it can be straightened / sawn off to form a drill bit. I use an Ozito 90 buck variable speed drill cranked down to lowest speed. I've had this setup going for about 5 years now - never one little problem after hundreds of brews and the knurling still looks brand new.

Plus, if you put it on the highest of the factory provided settings you can roll your own flakes and make the porridge that God eats.

Ugly as f*k but does the job just fine.

marga view.jpg

Moad said:
I have one of the keg king motors, granted I didn't pay for it... works great but the spider coupling isn't the best.

Using with a barley crusher mill, no complaints on that either.

edit: link

http://kegking.com.au/high-torque-motor-for-maltmuncher-kit.html
I have one of the motors as well, Haven't been able to get it to do anything but free wheel. Might invest in a love joy coupling and see if that helps. Also went into Bunnings last week to get an ozito as above in Bribies post, no longer available! And since Bunnings has the monopoly, people will need to search for an alternative I think unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back