Where To Get Adaptor For Fire Extinguisher?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB

Reaction score
Hey everybody, as stated in the heading my Supagas rental is almost up for renewal cancellation and so I'm looking at switching over to the 3.5kg fire extinguisher I picked up a few months ago.

AFAICT, generally the 3.5kg ones have a 1/4" fitting and the 5kg ones have a 1/2" fitting that accepts our CO2 regs straight on. I need to find a brass adaptor with a male 1/4" fitting to go into the extinguisher head and a 1/2" male fitting to go into the reg. Any idea where I can get one reasonably cheaply? I'm sure I could do some work and ring around and then drive to some plumbing places to find one but where's the fun in that? I'd rather be at home drinking and brewing :D.

Any help is appreciated,
KGB.

to jump straight into this topic, what is needed for using a fire extinguisher as a co2 source?

just the afore mentioned adaptor if using a 3kg bottle, and nothing at all if using a bigger 5kg one?

no other mods needed at all?

to jump straight into this topic, what is needed for using a fire extinguisher as a co2 source?

just the afore mentioned adaptor if using a 3kg bottle, and nothing at all if using a bigger 5kg one?

no other mods needed at all?

Like all answers, Depends! Bbrand of extinguisher, Reg, etc.

Like all answers, Depends! Bbrand of extinguisher, Reg, etc.

now how did i just know that would be the answer :p

ahh well, will check a few out, the old man is a fitter and turner by trade, so shouldnt be a problem no matter what, get him to check it out for me.

so generally no mod's internally need to be made to the the extinguisher? ie. nothing that would require emptying it then refilling?

so generally no mod's internally need to be made to the the extinguisher? ie. nothing that would require emptying it then refilling?
You'll need to remove the extinguishers dip tube.
Or use it upside down.

Thanks Lindsay and Screwtop, I'll check them out asap.

OM39A: There is at least one massive thread on fire extinguishers on here and plenty of really good info if you search.
Like thunderlips said you really need to have the diptube removed or use it upside-down so that the reg only draws gaseos CO2 and not liquid CO2. Its unlikely that it would be liquid by the time it made it through the reg anyway to cause any damage but its possible. If you use it upside down obviously you need a bracket to hold it to a wall or something, make sure its mounted very securely in case something goes wrong and you create a CO2 powered rocket.

cool, well im thinking of grabbing one, and just using it upside down to start, and when i empty it, ill take the dip tube out then, and get it refilled.

Yep, thats what I'll be doing in a month or two when my supagas rental runs out.. There are a couple FS on here at the moment I believe.
I just realised we can't edit posts once someone has posted after them. I can actually spell gaseous. :)

Latest posts

Back