Where To Drill The Holes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydzzz

Reaction score
Hey guys n girls,

I was just about to drill the holes in my simpson tuckerbox for the beer taps. when i realised they must have some kind of radiator/heat exchanger in it somewhere....

Does anyone know if its safe to drill the sides or the front? Anyone know where the radiator thingy is?

I'd reckon if you could manage to cut a hole in the plastic inner lining of the freezer where you want to drill the hole, then check to see if you have any lines behind there before drilling a hole in the outer skin. Even if you can't see what's behind there, you can stick your finger in and feel around. If you're lucky there will only be insulation.

Best of Luck.

its best to make a timber collar. I think its in the front as the front of mine gets hot. so Id say there would be stuff in the sides to. Best to make a collar that way you can turn it back into a freezer later on.

I have heard of some people who make a thick paste out of cornflour and water. Rub it on the wall of their fridge and you can tell where not to drill. However, I don't know if it is the same with a freezer. Works well on a fridge though.

i never even thought of checking where it has frozen. I left it on last night to check in what position the switch froze or chilled, this morning it has a perfect frost line where the cooling lines are! Not a good pic i know but you can kinda see them.
DSC00842.jpg

You guys may also be interested that this freezer has been converted to run two thermostats. one for freezing and one for chilling. This is so i can take it camping. We freeze about six inches of water sold in the bottom then pack in the kegs and surround them with ice, it stays icy cold beer for about four or five days even in full summer. Then if we have a genny i can switch it over to chill and keep it colder for even longer, without freezing the beer

DSC00839.jpg

i never even thought of checking where it has frozen. I left it on last night to check in what position the switch froze or chilled, this morning it has a perfect frost line where the cooling lines are! Not a good pic i know but you can kinda see them.
DSC00842.jpg

Remember there are the chilling ones on the inside, and the warm ones on the outer skin. You don't want to hit either :)

Cheers
Steve

You guys may also be interested that this freezer has been converted to run two thermostats. one for freezing and one for chilling. This is so i can take it camping. We freeze about six inches of water sold in the bottom then pack in the kegs and surround them with ice, it stays icy cold beer for about four or five days even in full summer. Then if we have a genny i can switch it over to chill and keep it colder for even longer, without freezing the beer

DSC00839.jpg

i'm battling at the moment (SWMBO) with the concept of taking a trailer camping.... taking a kegerator along! i am SO envious. :)

i actually welded a longer A frame on our camp trailer with a 50 by 50 angle square for the freezer to fit into.

Works perfectly and takes up no space at all the the kegorator on the front of the trailer

Back