Where To Buy Cascade Mahogany Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I want to buy a can of mahogany porter for a RIS recipe

A google gave me some homebrew shops and Woolies and Coles

Checked a few , but no luck

anyone know where I can buy it from in my area

maybe Parramatta area

tried that site before posting

they gave me homebrew shops

and said woolies and coles stock

have tried a few , but no luck
I'm sure I've seen it in Dave's @ nth Syd, but having used it before, I'd rather just go for the Coopers Dark Ale.

From what I've heard it's not worth finding.

The recipe I am trying came from this site and is a medal winner

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...c=44166&hl=

Dan's recipe is below (Best beer of Show 2007?). K+K & steeped grains:
500g cracked roast barley
500g cracked light crystal
1.7kg can Draught
1.7kg can Porter
1.7kg can Stout (no brand names are listed)
1kg brewing sugar
1kg dried brew booster

60g styrian goldings @ 60
40g EKG @ 15
20g saaz @ 0

He steeped the grains in 6L water, and boiled that for 60 mins, with the styrian added at start boil, the EKG added 15 mins from flameout, and the saaz at flamout.

Then he just added the 3 cans into his fermenter, put the boiling wort on top of that, stirred to dissolve, and added cold water up to 20L mark.
It says he aerated by pouring from one fermenter into another several times,
pitched 40g of yeast,
and it seems like he used 2 fermenters to ferment in, probably at 10L each, cause the krauesen that comes of a good RIS will creep out of the fermenter and strangle you in your sleep if you dont give it bollock loads of head space.

Honestly I reckon you could sub the cascade porter kit for the coopers dark ale and you'd be hard pressed to notice with that much spec grain and a tin of stout. Keep looking though, but IMO if you can't find it just grab youself any darkish kit to sub. Should still turn out good

but having used it before, I'd rather just go for the Coopers Dark Ale
Agreed. I had to add a lot of bits to the kit to make it decent. Only reason I bought the Porter can was they were selling out for $5.

Or the Coopers Stout kit - also better than any Cascade goop and readily available.

Back