Where In Geelong To Drink Good Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

np1962

It's all about the Beer
Reaction score
Well, I will be in Geelong at the end of June for the Schoolboys National Rugby Championships as Manager of the SA team.
Am hopeful of getting some time to duck out and have a beer or two with the coaching team.
But where to go?
I think we're staying at the Grammar School so walking/staggering distance would be good, although for something special a taxi is not out of the question.
Ideas?

Nige

Choices are limited at best.

Bended elbow on Yarra Street is good, nice range, but horrific prices, well at least compared to my shallow pockets.

Scottish Chiefs Tavern is good if they have some of their own ales on, but I think they are still looking for a contract brewer.

Pisses me off really, twice the size of Warnambool, yet we don't have anything close to Flying Horse.

As for something near the Grammar school, no chance, Geelong Grammar is actually quite isolated.

John

Bended elbow on Yarra Street is good, nice range, but horrific prices, well at least compared to my shallow pockets.

Scottish Chiefs Tavern is good if they have some of their own ales on, but I think they are still looking for a contract brewer.

Pisses me off really, twice the size of Warnambool, yet we don't have anything close to Flying Horse.

As for something near the Grammar school, no chance, Geelong Grammar is actually quite isolated.

John

Thanks FJ, I think :huh:
Taxi at the least then.
Hope they organise a trip to Melbourne on one of the rest days then. Will have to sneak off somewhere.

Nige

John

He could always end up at Drysdale John.... :D

Rook

Got marooned in Geelong three years ago for a fortnight and the Bended Elbow was my lifesaver. If where you are staying is on a bus route and I would imagine the Grammar would be, the local bus service is pretty good for a provincial city and the BE is just round the corner from the central bus station IIRC. As long as you don't miss the last one :lol:

You could try the Barking Dog in Geelong West. From memory that has a couple of good beers on tap and a pretty good crowd on weekends.... and you never know...... being a rugby jock you might even get lucky! :lol:

If you happen tp have a day off head out to the Otway Estate Brewery and have a Prickly Moses or three. At last taste their Farmhouse Ale was a cracker.

If you happen tp have a day off head out to the Otway Estate Brewery and have a Prickly Moses or three. At last taste their Farmhouse Ale was a cracker.

Prickley moses are now found at the Belmont Hotel.... tho they ran out of summer ale, so i didnt get to try that one

You can often get Prickly Moses across High St at Wine Justice (pay a bit but).

There's a few bars in the Kardinia Park stadium. I'd suggest trying there. You'll also get to see a real football game. :D

There's a few bars in the Kardinia Park stadium. I'd suggest trying there. You'll also get to see a real football game. :D

MMmmmm, The formerly known as Kardinia Pk, home of the pussies. :D
According to the GayFL website they are playing on the Sunday but against the PAP's.
Sounds far too gynaecological to me B)

The Bended Elbow sounds like the only chance then.
Was hoping for more options, oh well we'll make do.

Nige

Latest posts

Back