Where can I get granite rocks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make a stienbier (stone beer) for my 50th AG and was wondering where I could find the rocks to do it.
I need some igneous rocks to do it and figure that granite is probably the most commonly used. They need to be about fist sized and I need about 10 of them.

Btw, anyone interested in steinbier check this out.
http://byo.com/stories/item/857-hot-rocks-making-a-stein-beer

I think out West between Little River - Bacchus Marsh are Granitic Plains, you may be able to just go grab some, probably not meant to take them from the You Yangs National park area however.

Victorian Goldfields.

They are everywhere. Other than that try a sand and soil depot.

Interesting technique kind of like what garage project did with one of their beers. Got no idea about where to get rocks though sorry!

Surely basalt would do just as well. There are plenty of basalt quarries around for concrete aggregate and roadbase. they would have no probs with you taking a few small pieces, most places that deal in stone handle very large quantities. Look for quarries in the yellow pages.
I work with stone most days, but I'm a long way from you.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Railwayline ballast is usually granit.
Yeah Just don't get hit by a train! Really used to ruin my day having to walk back to see if the person we hit was still breathing, ugly mess. Suffice to say Sydney has had 2 fatalities in the past week and one other person hit, that some how lived. Perhaps pick up the ballast from the outside the fence :)

Yes. Trains can be hazerdous to your health. We used to call them silent death cause when we where working trackside you couldnt hear them coming some times.

Plenty of granite and basalt all around the You Yangs, but you can't take it from there.

Try the Anakies. Most of it is private land, but meh.

I would consider researching a little on the heavy metal content of basalt though. Granite is probably your best bet.

I remember seeing a podcast with a group of homebrewers making a stone beer, but unfortunately I can't remember which one it was because it was quite a good watch. Was amazing how much the wort boiled with the rock additions. Remember they used a wire basket in the kettle which they could lift out to retrieve the rocks.

Sorry I haven't really helped out, but good luck and look forward to here how it all works out.

Currently at a mates fishing shack on Facing Island just off the Central Qld Coast. It is near Mt Larcom which is an extinct volcano. I can get you any type of igneous rock you want by the tonne! What I cant give you is fish......bloody westerlies.

I think I would rather go purchase some providing they aren't too expensive so I can be sure they are safe to use, and a bit cleaner. Basalt would also work.
I'll try some rock sellers in the morning. If anyone knows of a place that sells them please drop a name.
Thanks.

Mardoo,
I suggest that you should use the correct rock as the rapid expansion and contraction of the rock , in liquid , will more than likely result in an explosion...

fergthebrewer said:
Mardoo,
I suggest that you should use the correct rock as the rapid expansion and contraction of the rock , in liquid , will more than likely result in an explosion...
True. Post deleted.

Maybe try places that make granite bench tops, I'm sure they would have off cuts they might sell\case of beer you a bucket of.

mmmyummybeer said:
I remember seeing a podcast with a group of homebrewers making a stone beer, but unfortunately I can't remember which one it was because it was quite a good watch. Was amazing how much the wort boiled with the rock additions. Remember they used a wire basket in the kettle which they could lift out to retrieve the rocks.

Sorry I haven't really helped out, but good luck and look forward to here how it all works out.
That was a Basic Brewing episode from a few years back - could be worth a watch in terms of set up for heating and moving the rocks into the wort...

There was a video episode and audio episode from memory.

Good luck - be cool to try I think. I think this was the initial idea behind Stone & Wood's stone beer.

Kev

I've been trying to locate some too. If anyone in Sydney can help, I am in the market.

Off cuts from kitchen bench tops could be the way to go.

Don't Stone and Wood use Fijian Lava or something?

Josh said:
I've been trying to locate some too. If anyone in Sydney can help, I am in the market.

Off cuts from kitchen bench tops could be the way to go.

Don't Stone and Wood use Fijian Lava or something?
There is a place called Evans Crown west of lithgow on the road to Tarana. There are enormous granite boulders there, you could easily pick up a few small stones. It is a good place for walking, great views and the Tarana pub nearby. If you want a nice day out you could get your granite stones as well. Sydney itself is all sandstone.

In the BYO magazine a couple issues ago was a good story about beer made with stones.

The guy used a meteor if i remember right but in the end even the bust. Seems an unnesercarily dangerous thing to do to me. Combine it with dodging trains and you are supercharging it.

You should be able to buy them in Melbourne easily enough, but if you want to find them yourself...Central Victoria is full of granite.

Back