When The Beer Runs Out What Do You Drink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tequila!, i love the stuff, if there's none around or i'm strapped for cash i don't mind a cab sav, i'm no expert on wine tho so just buy whatever sounds good on the label and is under 15 bucks

When my beer runs dry I either:
A: Head to the bottlo and buy beers I haven't tried before - I'd prefer 2 bottles of good quality beer than hitting the megaswill.
B: Hit the liquor stash - Bombay Sapphire n Tonic with a bit of lemon, Single Malt Whiskey & Water or Cognac....All of which aren't cheap so the liquor cabinet has a slow turn over..

If I'm hard up for a buck I'll open a bottle from the el cheapo($3/bottle) cleanskin Merlot.....not a flash drop but drinkable and the case lasts forever coz it's in the break glass in emergency wine cellar.

Nothing beats a good single malt for the times that you can't stomach or haven't got any beer. For hot days a Jack and Coke with a slice of lime and lots of ice is nice too.

I have a pretty decent collection of Scotch gathering up, JW Blue, Laphroaig 10, Glenmorangie 10, Macallan 12, Glenlivet 16 CS. Got a lot of good red wines the other day to keep under the house for 18 years since we had a new bub the other day.

I don't think i'm an alcoholic though, i have maybe 10 beers a week at the moment and a bottle of scotch lasts me a year at least.

If i'm after beer though i get something from down the street (usually a Weihenstephan, Schneider, Kolsch or Pilsner Urquell) or just go the $35 option and get a case of Amsterdam Mariner cans (24x500mL, you can't go wrong with a pint glass!)

i've got a house full of wine, so I usually have a red or white and a beer going at the same time.

so a big fan of the Coopers Birrell Lacto?

Me too. I don't like wine or spirits. If the beer is out then it is water, or a trip to the bottlo.

Ditto x2. If I run out of beer i drink water or juice :D . If i really want a beer I usually have a case of sam adams in the cubboard for special ocasions. I never really run out of beer anyway, I never drink more than 2 beers a night and 99% of the time its only 1 a night and 2 grog free nights a week.

Tend not to run out.

I do cut consumtion right back if the kegs are low....and if I do run out of drinkable/aged beer, then its usually on to a few bottles of craft brew beer from the bottlo that I haven't tried before. At a pinch I might crack a keg a couple of weeks early ;)

I don't drink that much, so truly running out doesnt happen. Over christmas, with visitors etc, we cleaned out a few kegs (plus a carton of crownies...uuurghh what's happened to it??) and I'm rushing a few brews down now to fill the empties!

I busted myself drinking out of the fermenter last night...... :ph34r:

Lol. :D
Good excuse to go to the Liquor Super Savers or the Grape to futher my beer education.
Also we buy bulk red (25 litre barrels from Ballandene - ie, no-chill containers) and I distill my own essential oils. So if no beer its red or a G&T by the pool, maybe a margaretta. Summer ain't all bad :)

Lol. :D
Good excuse to go to the Liquor Super Savers or the Grape to futher my beer education.
Also we buy bulk red (25 litre barrels from Ballandene - ie, no-chill containers) and I distill my own essential oils. So if no beer its red or a G&T by the pool, maybe a margaretta. Summer ain't all bad :)
Ahh Ballandean... the great Granite Belt.

We had a family friend that operated a vineyard there until he died a few years back. Actually, his property was more famous for the observatory than the grapes he grew - but still it made for some good nights with good wine and good gazing-at-the-stars.

As far as wines are concerned, I like oakey chardonnays (or slightly ML effected ones, but not both at once) and nice, beefy reds. Tattachilla (sp?) made a Grenache at one time that could strip the flesh from the inside of your mouth due to the tannins - BEAUTIFUL stuff!

beer is irreplaceable. but i have been through a couple of HB droughts lately so have been forced to find coping mechanisms.
I quite like wine every now and then but only drink it when other people (eg mrs meate) have opened the bottle. i enjoy it but i can't sink wine like i can beer for some reason.
a straight single malt is good but only at the end of the night.
gin and tonic in hot weather when i'm desperate for a beer - i can almost convince myself that the quinine is hops...
but yes i have drunk beer out of the primary and i will again!

but yes i have drunk beer out of the primary and i will again!

Tried that once. The weight of the glass carboy almost broke my teeth. :lol:

Draws comparisons to leaving the toilet seat up for the dog. :blink:

Edit: If there's no beer (very rare indeed) I usually grab a slab of Strongbow. Bundy and Coke is good too.

Warren -

I have occasionally cracked a bottle of red ...but I tend to drink it like drinking a longneck of beer. Two, three glasses and its gone in half an hour. My wife isnt too impressed.
Cheers
Steve

Tried that once. The weight of the glass carboy almost broke my teeth.

:lol: :rolleyes:

I try never to run out. I'm certainly not against a nice wine. Whisky is good, but one bottle will last me a long time as I only have one at the end of an evening very occasionally. GnT is very fine as a summer drink and we usually get a big bottle to enjoy over the Xmas period. :chug:

But rum and bourbon never pass my lips. :ph34r:

Run out of beer :unsure: it's not going to happen here, ever. ;)

Sadly I ran out of my own beer in late November which was bad and good as I moved house in early December and didnt have to cart full kegs and bottles around etc. Fortunately the B3 fits in the new garage along side my fridges and the wife can still get the car in, unfortunately there it has sat since it fit snuggly in!! I know I know what a waste.

In the meantime as my staple over the holidays beer I have been drinking - Becks - but it is the imported one which my local seems to have an endless supply of and is much beter than the one brewed by LN. I have also been buying Coopers Red, Duval, Le Choffe, Gage Roads IPA, Peroni, Sam Adams and as you do tried out some of the new crafty's - Knapstein, Moo, Cracken Back etc

I generally have a couple of beers and then have some wine with my wife over dinner. When the wine is gone and if I am in the drinking way I attack the port or if none the Laphraig - then it gets ugly.

In short I never run out of beer as there is always beer in the fridge I have just run out of mine! Well actually I do have half a case of my Peach ale that I brewed back in Nov 2004 which is still drinking quite well! Might go and have one now.

I usually try new craft or imported beers... loving the belgians at the moment.... otherwise I by long necks of coopers red and culture up some yeast for the return brew of a keg filling aussie ale.

Back