Wheeliie Bin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
I am converting a wheelie bin for a portable keg dispenser (I see there are quite a few commercial mobs hiring them out).

Anyone else done this?
Warnings? Advice?

I am converting a wheelie bin for a portable keg dispenser (I see there are quite a few commercial mobs hiring them out).

Anyone else done this?
Warnings? Advice?

hey fella, send FNQBunyip a message to show pics of his.

there was a good project article in BYO 1 or 2 years ago from a guy in the states who did this. Looked good and worked well apparently. See if you can find it .

hi Maxt ,, there are a few pics around of my wheely bin in action , its great , ezy to move around , fits 3 kegs or if you chill your gas bottle befor you go 2 kegs and the gas ... I've got a soda streem now so can take 3 kegs out most times i go ...

I wraped it in builders blanket ,, silverpaper/wool stuff... and cut a bit for the bottom as cold falls .. taped it all up with 100mph tape .. drip tray on the front ..

only downside to it is 1 ) everybody wants to look in it , 2) when they get a bit pissy they put rubbish in it ...

we take it campping and with 3 kegs and home made block ice it can last 5 days no probs ,, when its just us out bush I also put builders blanket in the top .. have had to pour the ice out so I can lift it back up onto the ute ...

been thinking of putting 3mm ply over the outside as the silver paper stuff is getting a bit ratty , but I do a bit of work for a plumber so get all the scrap insulation I could ever want ...

cheers ..

Anyone else done this?
Warnings? Advice?

Yes, I have converted one. Holds 2 corny kegs nice and firm from corner to corner. They don't sit on the bottom of the bin as it's tapered. 6 bags of ice and they stay nice and cold for approx 2 to 3 days. Doesn't have insulation. I also mounted some white pvc plumber pipe to hold the soda stream bottle & reg near the top so you can access it for adjustment. Mounted a cheap font (from my china built kegerator) on top of the lid with an aluminium plate underneath for support.

Only use it when I go camping with the boys and when I have party's at home its an extra 2 beers on tap which gives me 7 beers on tap.

There are some other brewers that have built them I've seen on here, just do a search.

Cheers WoolBrew :icon_cheers:

I converted a small 60L bin into a party keg late last year.

Here is a photo...

photo.JPG

Edit - for some reason, the picture keeps coming out landscape, rather than portrait. Sorry.

I converted a small 60L bin into a party keg late last year.

Here is a photo...

View attachment 39216

Edit - for some reason, the picture keeps coming out landscape, rather than portrait. Sorry.
Cut a hole in the lid or just remove the lid and the fit a 19 lt corny without issue

That's how most people end up seeing it anyway...

Hahaha.

I agree with the earlier post, mentioning the rubbish issue.

I used mine on NYE and it had so much crap in there the next day. I might think about a lock next party.

Thanks all. I especially like the idea for a lock..stops rubbish, but also people messing with gas, and nicking stuff.
I'll post some pics later..., I am just finishing spray painting my $4 drip tray I sourced from the tip shop.

Anyone else done this?
Warnings? Advice?

Hi Maxt,

Here are some pics of the one i built, holds a 19lt corny with a lot of expander foam for insulation.
A bag of ice and your done.IMGP2457.jpgIMGP2458.jpg[[attachment=
39235:beer2_002.jpg]]

Attachments

• beer2_002.jpg
    beer2_002.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 170
Few more questions:
*I will be taking this to a party in October in Nthn NSW. I will have 2 kegs tapped. Would 2 bags of ice last the night? What sort of temps am I looking at with ice?
*Looking at the highest placement for the tap, it's still a bit of a stoop to pull beers. Other than a font, has anyone tried mounting the tap higher on the lid, or making a raised section on the lid?
Cheers

Malbur, firstly... nice job, like it a lot. Was thinking of doing the same kinda thing with all the expanda foam. Did you flowcoat it afterwards, or is that just white paint ? I figured you'd need to make it waterproof if you want to be throwing ice around it and whatever. What did you use for the mold for the keg hole. Looks like a bucket ?

*I will be taking this to a party in October in Nthn NSW. I will have 2 kegs tapped. Would 2 bags of ice last the night? What sort of temps am I looking at with ice?

There is a lot of cold mass with 2 kegs - hence I would have thought the beer would last the night easily with 2 bags assuming the kegs are cold prior to adding to the wheelie bin.

Malbur, firstly... nice job, like it a lot. Was thinking of doing the same kinda thing with all the expanda foam. Did you flowcoat it afterwards, or is that just white paint ? I figured you'd need to make it waterproof if you want to be throwing ice around it and whatever. What did you use for the mold for the keg hole. Looks like a bucket ?

Hi mika its just white paint, i didn't won't the expanda foam sucking in all that water from the ice so i sealed it off.
Yep it's a bucket, there is 2 buckets there actually, cut the bottom off one than slide it into a second bucket a bit of duck tape to hold it at the right hight for the corny, a bit of expanda foam in the bottom of the bin than put the buckets in, i used some rocks in the bottom of the bucket so the foam didn't just push the buckets out as it was expanding, and some timber just to keep the bucket straight till i got enough in the bottom to hold it all.

Mal :beerbang:

there was a good project article in BYO 1 or 2 years ago from a guy in the states who did this. Looked good and worked well apparently. See if you can find it .

November 2008, Vol 14, No 7. Page 48.

Holds 3 kegs.

That is the most pimped out wheelie bin i've ever seen!!. I like it!!!

Back