Wheat beers ready quickly - the yeast or the wheat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oglennyboy

Reaction score
Gday all,
I've recently come back to home brewing, 20 years in the wilderness! Did half a doz kits & bits, extracts & steeping, and have just done my 3rd BIAB.
I noticed with the two K&K wheaties (using WB-06 & WY3068) that they were ready less than a week after bottling, fully carbed and really fresh tasting. My question: is it the particular weizen yeasts that allow this, or the wheat in the beer, or a bit of both?
I've just put Tony's "New Age Aussie Wheat" into bottles to condition, after doing it as a BIAB, and wonder if the same applies even though I used US-05. The PET bottles feel pretty tight.
Looking at some kegging gear this weekend, bits & bobs of second-hand gear, but that will no doubt be the subject of my next post ;)

cheers
glenny

I think most beers will be carbonated after a week if you leave them at a reasonable temperature.

Wheat yeasts do chew through pretty quickly, and taste best fresh, but no other reason they would be done earlier.

I've noticed the same thing using wheat. My beers normally taste ready and good at 4 weeks, but whenever I've used a sizeable amount of wheat, it's more like 2 or 2 and a half weeks and they're ready to go.

Cracked a wheaty last night, 2 weeks in primary and 4 days in the bottle. Fully carbed (big bubbles tho') and tasty-as. Compared against an amber with no wheat, same timing and urg, waay out of balance, all bitey & very light on the fizz. Have noticed with the extracts to date that 2 weeks carb at 18C seems to be needed.
Am now wondering if tweaking some recipes as far as wheat percentage goes (and maybe some yeast experiments!) could be used to bring forward the drinkability & conditioning of some beers?
cheers

Started a Hefe last Saturday, in the keg last night, poured the first glass today. 7 days from bag to glass ;)

Still needs some carbonation, but it did go down pretty well on a 39c day.

Funnily enough I found that my AG weizen took a lot longer to condition and come up to flavour than my original extract weizens did, no idea why.

Back