Wheat beer yeast options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to try gather some information and possibly recommendations on a good dried/dehydrated German style wheat beer yeast if possible.

I've brewed many batches with WB-06 and won't ever use again, it's just too tart, has zero banana at any temperature or pitch rate and is quite "appley" to me, if that's a word. I love WLP-300 but it's really hard to get live yeast delivered where I am and no chance to buy locally. Actually been using the same slurry repitch for about two years now which I think has probably vastly mutated since.. it's not exactly how I recall that first pitch was

Is there a dried option that compares to the classic WLP-300 style, or even something close I might enjoy?

Where do you live?
Steve at Brewman manages to dispatch fresh Wyeast all over the place, and it arrives cold. Certainly does at my place.
Maybe that's an option?
I've never used dry yeast for a wheat beer, so cannot comment on any which may be appropriate.

+1 for Brewman
WY3068 is my favourite wheat yeast. None of the dry versions come close, but I love Banana and Bubblegum in my wheat beer.
Mark

Hi all,

I'm looking to try gather some information and possibly recommendations on a good dried/dehydrated German style wheat beer yeast if possible.

I've brewed many batches with WB-06 and won't ever use again, it's just too tart, has zero banana at any temperature or pitch rate and is quite "appley" to me, if that's a word. I love WLP-300 but it's really hard to get live yeast delivered where I am and no chance to buy locally. Actually been using the same slurry repitch for about two years now which I think has probably vastly mutated since.. it's not exactly how I recall that first pitch was

Is there a dried option that compares to the classic WLP-300 style, or even something close I might enjoy?
I make lots of Hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen.
My go to yeast is Mangrove Jack's M20.
Works every time
Have tried liquid and WB-06, both not close to M20.

I've heard good things about Lalbew Munich Classic as well. It claims to hit high on banana notes.

Munich-Classic-flavor-wheel-300x270.png

Anyone tried it?

I've heard good things about Lalbew Munich Classic as well. It claims to hit high on banana notes.

Anyone tried it?

I've made a couple batches of hefe with this yeast after reading up on recommendations for a dry yeast. Absolutely packs a bunch of banana but not so much clove. I slightly underpitched the second time and didn't rehydrate to stress it a bit and that def upped the banana esters.

I haven't tried any other yeasts for hefe yet but this one seemed to do the job.

ETA: Lalbrew have a Munich, and a Munich classic dry yeast and it's definitely the latter that you want for wheat beers - that was mentioned a few times in my reading.

I've made a couple batches of hefe with this yeast after reading up on recommendations for a dry yeast. Absolutely packs a bunch of banana but not so much clove. I slightly underpitched the second time and didn't rehydrate to stress it a bit and that def upped the banana esters.

I haven't tried any other yeasts for hefe yet but this one seemed to do the job.

ETA: Lalbrew have a Munich, and a Munich classic dry yeast and it's definitely the latter that you want for wheat beers - that was mentioned a few times in my reading.
Can also vouch for the Lalbrew Munich Wheat yeast, i've brewed a couple of cracking all grain wheats with this, also vouch the WB-06 gives a sour tart flavour.

Also used LalBrew Munich Classic. Tried a couple of varieties as well but this one got me the flavour I was after. The manufacturer was also kind enough to respond to my query how to get more banana flavour. They said shoot for 22C fermentation temperature. I did and it's spot on. They also recommended using a small amount of dextrose to increase ester production. I have not tried that. I was aiming for the flavour of Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier and it's pretty close.

Just wrapping up ferment with the M20 yeast, definitely a low attenuator at 1.016. I like the idea of a higher FG because you can squeeze more grain in to the grist adding more flavour with less ABV. I can see where the silky mouthfeel comes into the blurb. Right now it smells pretty well identical to the WLP-300 I'm used to, just as much banana

Will update soon

Attachments

• 20220316_045409.jpg
    20220316_045409.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 8
Also used LalBrew Munich Classic. Tried a couple of varieties as well but this one got me the flavour I was after. The manufacturer was also kind enough to respond to my query how to get more banana flavour. They said shoot for 22C fermentation temperature. I did and it's spot on. They also recommended using a small amount of dextrose to increase ester production. I have not tried that. I was aiming for the flavour of Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier and it's pretty close.
Hi Peter
I have plans to do a Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier when my German relos drop in next. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Regards
Jolls

Last edited:

Anyone tried it?
The Munich Classic is my go to yeast for a hefeweisen. It works fine. I haven't tried the M20, but some say that's it's the same yeast repackaged.
WB-06 is for Belgian wheat beers and stuff like Hoegaarden. I used to use it too and was very disappointed. I've also started using dark wheat malt-it's not all that dark, about 9 ebc, but it's got loads of flavour. Also made an interesting one with spelt malt.
Spring is just starting to spring here in sunny Brittany, so that's the end of the Pilsner season, but too early for wheat beer. I've got a couple of brewing fridges, but try to use them only when it's too hot to brew otherwise. In fact I'm using them to store malt at the moment in case Vlad the Lad's war mongering puts the mockers on Europe's barley crop.

Last edited:
Just before xmas i brewed what i'm calling a red wheat beer using what i had on hand, had to be ready for xmas day so brewed under pressure 9 days from mash to glass.
May not be strictly on style but it was bloody delish and was a crowd pleaser.

50% toasted wheat
50% vienna malt
hallertau original hops
WB06 slurry from a previous wheat beer

IMG_20220226_192911.jpg

Last edited:
Just tasting my first bottle conditioned version now which ended up slowly finishing at 1.014. About 1 week in the bottle stored warm around 30 degrees

Definitely has a really nice smooth mouthfeel, really happy with that. Getting malt on the nose along with some garbage, banana and clove in about equal proportions. I think the garbage will clear up in a little while, I always get that with WLP-300 too. It seems somewhat different to the 300 but only just, and streets from the WB06 which I never enjoyed at all. All in all so far I'm rating it up there as probably a 9/10, possibly even a 10 as it ages. Pretty impressed! Look forward to trying the other recommendations as time goes on

Attachments

• 20220326_122827.jpg
    20220326_122827.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 8
Update - having a second bottle conditioned version left warm and fridged just today. Garbage is gone and replaced with a delicious banana clove bouquet, along with sweet malt aromas.

What strikes me most is the very full bodied mouthfeel though. It's really wonderful. Don't recall ever getting this from WLP-300 (3068) but on all other accounts it seems identical. I'd always used quite a bit of munich malt in my German wheat beers just due to struggling with mouthfeel being too watery and thin but now wishing I'd made with just pils and wheat malt

I think it's fair to say I like this yeast even better than 3068! Very nice indeed

Attachments

• 20220403_164242.jpg
    20220403_164242.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back