What's Your Oldest Bit Of Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it still have the gecko attached :p

The Mighty Thermax

1boiler.jpg

Don't know the age but maybe early sixties??

I saw one of these for sale today, looked in fair condition, has lid etc. $60.00 ono

Some people I know were renovating a real old place, and after ripping down some plaster they found that timber from old beer crates had been used in the building process. They immediately thought of me. So now I've got these old planks with "Victoria Brewery" and "Carlton Bitter Ale" and stuff like that branded on the side of them. When I get around to building a brew stand I'm planning on finding a way of getting some choice pieces attached to give the stand some character.

No idea how old they are. I can grab some photos if people are interested.

You could use them on a wicked bar

OT never seen crates used in building but they used to throw a newspaper in the walls. If it survived the rats and cockroaches its good as tells you the day they sheeted that wall think one I found was like 1960's but they are rare to find as pests seem to love paper.

No old brewing gear well maybe a fridge I bought have to be at least 15 years old.

lol yeah but imagine the price to sell it now its almost historical lol and paperwork to prove it thats a rare thing hold onto it and for gods sake dont drop it lol

my bottles, bought them in the hbs warwick 4 years ago $4 a dozen, the amount of dirt dust and huntsmen im not sure, but thier heavy and crown seals.

Yeah cant argue mantis :p I think I got a few bottles off tony that my be older then me lol never seen a beer bottle that shape or markings

I think my fermenting fridge is about 30 years old. Still works a treat. Absolutely love it.

My oldest piece of kit is also my most abused...I posted this pic some time ago and it's been through a few more batches since. It's got a little shorter and a little more frayed. Going strong since 1991 but I'm seriously considering retiring the poor thing soon.

capper01.JPG

My oldest is my standing capper. Got for my 21st in 94'. Nothing prior to this is around anymore.

If I recall correctly the Whitlam government actually made the brewing of beer over 3% legal for the first time at home.

Previously it was legal but only if the beer was under 3%. I remember this as my Dad was a very straightlaced country lawyer and was fastidious in using the hydrometer to ensure he was brewing legal beer. Poor ******* :)

I gave all my kit and bottles away when I stopped home brewing in the mid-80s, most of it was bought at the Peakhurst Brew shop which still is there today.

Cheerz Wabster.

A black Fowlers Vacola fermenter from about 1974 when Gough Whitlam's government legalised home brewing.
Only used for storage now.

My late Grandfathers over the side immersion element. Must be at least 50 Yrs old... and still works a treat. :)

Latest posts

Back