Whats your house beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just getting back into brewing and am brewing and filling up the kegs as quickly as i can.

I've done a Golden ale, Nelson sauvin summer ale, will be doing a little fellas pale ale also.

Id like to find a tasty beer, single malt, single hop, to do double batches of for an everyday drinker over summer.

Don't want to waste the other brews when i just want a beer while working in the yard on a hot day.

Im thinking a lager. Can you recommend me a bulk drinking recipe?

Also, Whats your house beer? Not your classiest stuff, just your bulk brew for a beer when you need something wet :)

There's a 10+ page thread somewhere on forum on what is your house beer.

For me in my optimal setup, I tend to have a UK or Irish style, a hoppy American (APA or IPA), something black and an experimental (fruit, sour etc) all on tap at the same time. I rarely brew the exact same beer twice, but often close variations of the same.

Hi Neo,

I made this last Friday, I know you would like one malt, one hop but if you were to take a couple of ingredients out, this could be a lager for you.

90% Pilsner malt
9% Munich malt
1% Caramunich 2

I made a 50 litre batch so you might have to recalculate these...
35g Victoria Secret 15.5 alpha for 60 minutes
20 Cascade 5 alpha for 20 minutes
20g Cascade 5 alpha for 0 minutes

I used an immersion chiller at flameout but if you are no chilling put the 1st cascade in at the end of the boil and the 2nd with the yeast pitch. I used w34/70 and am fermenting at 12 degrees for 2 weeks.

This calculated on brew ate at 34 IBU with a 5.9 colour. It was a nice blondeish colour.

It's not traditional lager but I think a more Aussie lager. To keep it simple use all Pilsner malt, grab a big bag of cascade and put in enough at 60 minutes to get the IBUs up to 30 or just under and then another couple at 20 and 0.

Let me know if you make this or a version of it,

Seato

I'm going through the same process at the moment.

Just done a mo + citra smash today. Interested to see how it turns out. Hopefully get my house beer in 1 lol

I'm going through the same process at the moment.

Just done a mo + citra smash today. Interested to see how it turns out. Hopefully get my house beer in 1 lol
This brew is instaWin!

Four beers on hand at all times: a Pale Ale (4.5%), Witbier (4%), Red Ale (5%) and an English Mild (3%). I have been doing double batches and changing ingredients with the same BIAB process and volumes to work out the perfect recipes. I am still not there yet, but bloody close on the Witbier.

Just cracked my second brew of an American style wheat with WLP029 yeast.
Yep, that does it for me. 1/2 Wheat, 1/2 Munich on this one, the first was 1/2 Wheat, 1/2 Pale with an APA hop schedule.
Also Hop2iT, three brews down, an IPA with varying hops depending on what I have on hand.

I have 2 Pale Ales, one with Amarillo & Ahtanum, the other swaps between Cascade and Chinook, also a Mild and Cream Ale, I always have 2 of those 4 beers on tap, just rotate them around so I don't get bored with them.

thedragon said:
These are my two favourites

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1327-aussie-amber-ale/

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1510-fatter-yak

I sometimes mix up the Aussie Amber swapping the Galaxy for Citra (yes I know that Citra is not exactly Aussie).

I probably brew only 20 times per year and the Aussie Amber and Farrer Yak get done at least four times each.
Was hoping to have a look at these two but the first one takes me to a joke about business signs and the other to a discussion about chillers haha. The app on my phone must be being silly.

Chris7 said:
Was hoping to have a look at these two but the first one takes me to a joke about business signs and the other to a discussion about chillers haha. The app on my phone must be being silly.
That sounds odd. Just checked the links and they're working. Are you logged on when you click on the links? You need to be logged on to access the recipe db.

My house beer is an APA which is on the borderlands of an IPA. Very easy but a great big taste.

8kg pale malt
4kg Munich

Mash at around 65 for 60

20g of Galaxy each at 60
20g of Galaxy at 40
20g of Nelson Sauvin at 20
20g of Galaxy at 10
20g of Nelson Sauvin at 0

Give it a try, just cut all the ingredient in half for a 25 litre batch

thedragon said:
That sounds odd. Just checked the links and they're working. Are you logged on when you click on the links? You need to be logged on to access the recipe db.
Yep certainly am, I just stay logged in. Seems it's just the App on my phone causing grief. I copied the links and pasted into Safari and managed to see them fine not using the app.

Thanks for the ideas, i did realsie there was a huge thread on house beers.

I suppose i was more aiming it on something simple and cheap, a smash brew.

Interesting though, as we are real beer drinkers, most people still like something better :)

I can never find a mash tun big enough to fit my house in.

Mines as follows (roughly):

3.8% ABV
9 EBC
27 IBU

87% Pale Pilsner Malt
6.5% Victory Malt
6.5% Munich I Malt

100% cube hopped using what I have in the freezer at the time, usually a combo or single hop selection from Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Galaxy and Motueka

US-05 Yeast

Latest posts

Back