Whats Your Cost Of Hb Per Stubbie?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On average it probably costs me 70c per long neck, however like most others here, cost is not the reason why I brew (but it was the reason I started). As I BIAB and bottle, my set up costs were negligible, although this will change when we rennovate and build in a cellar / brewing room.

On a side note, when I started brewing a few years ago I did it purely as a cost saving measure. At that time I was buying supermarket K and K's and my record was:
Homebrand Kit - Clearance at $3
1kg Dextrose - $3

The answer is probably obvious, but how did it taste?

Like many others cost or savings is not the reason I brew, altho it was the reason that I started.
I like the feeling of making something that I am proud to offer other beer drinkers.

Also like others my main "house" beers are around $1 a liter including incidentals like LPG, C02, finings, Blah Blah Blah.
If I do a bigger beer IPA, RIS they can get to around $1.50 a liter.

This is nothing new all you are saving is labour. Yes even brewers get paid at the end of the week.
Like going out for dinner, $40 for a steak WTF? But the ~$30 an hour you need to give the Chef is where alot of it goes.

Don't worry about the cost and have another beer.

Drew

Well, the cost of my gear (2 pots and an esky + other tools) is now next to negligible.
my next batch will cost me around $38, lets say $40 to round it up. I am doing a strong belgian, that i have seen in stores for more than $150 a slab.
OK my quality probably wont even be close to this, but i am trying/getting there. Given that 20/22 liters makes about 3 slabs (330ml bottles). Its still around 65c per bottle.

About $1.50 a king brown.

My pilsner is cost me about 3 a long neck. same price as a VB longneck...

This is nothing new all you are saving is labour. Yes even brewers get paid at the end of the week.
Like going out for dinner, $40 for a steak WTF? But the ~$30 an hour you need to give the Chef is where alot of it goes.

+1. Brilliant summary!

How? I make Pilsners for about 50c a liter - all european ingredients.

4kg Pilsner malt = 17
.100kg acid malt = free
Wyeast czech = 14
2x s-23 = 10
57g hallertau = $5.20
total = $46.20

batch size 15L

cost per 750ml = $2.31

So i was a bit out...

I made some small mistakes with the brew that i will never do again. I will make a starter for the pilsner yeast and break it down so i get some more uses out of it then just one.

yes i made a few mistakes. so 3 days no fermenation i made a choice and used 2 packs of s23. fermenting at 8 degree's

The answer is probably obvious, but how did it taste?

pretty much as you'd expect...

at that stage i didnt have temperature control - the ones brewed during winter at about 15-16 degrees were drinkable though... i probably rated them about the same i would rate a carlton draught, but that's me.

Damn that's cheap. My all grain ends up about $1.70 a pint, no complaints here though

i'm still resonably new at all grain brewing and i started with a 25 (or 20?)kg sack of JW ale. i think it works out to around $2-2.50 per kg.

cheap base malt makes for cheaper AG brewing... hops from nikobrew, 15 odd bucks a pound and great quality!

SATISFACTION!!!!! Today mounted my mill and cracked a few grains.... :beerbang: :super: :beerbang: :super:

Back