Whats Ya Water To Grain Ratio?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 to 3.5 / 1 - Single infusion.

Varies depending on amount of grain.

Scott

2-2.5 - depends on the grain bill ie how tight the MLT is looking.

~3:1, easier to stir. I always try to stir at around half mash time as well just to make sure that sugar is exposed to the good enzymes. Doughballs make for cloudy end product.

always 2.5, that way strike temp of 72 always hits 65 for me. plus can add more water later for mashout if i feel like it. usually have 5kg grain and 12.5 L water and get higher or lower final volume depending on what OG i want (so barley wines are 10L batches etc)

but i stir in half the grain with half the water at a time so that i avoid doughballs and broken long handle plastic spoons

As I understand it, Water/Grist ratio's are not the be all and end all, more that you get them consistent from batch to batch, so that you can better predict your FG's.

3:1 for me. Shouldn't need to add temp adjusting water for a single infusion if you've got your system dialed in ;)

For a single-sized batch, I mash whatever grain is required in my total pre-boil volume less my DunkSparge(tm) volume.

This usually turns out at ~5kg grain in ~(38-18) litres = ~1:4 or to answer the question, ~4:1.

And yet, it works! :D

14L per how ever many kg of grain I use.

I'm like Stu - always use the same amount of strike water. On a single batch I am aiming for a pre-boil of 28L, so if I strike with 14L, then before I raise to mash out I put in the same number of liters of water as I have KG of grain, then I will drain 14L or close enough on my first batch. 14L of sparge then gives me 14 more liters drained for a pre-boil of 28L.

All calculated to remove the need for thinking more than anything else. 14L + grain kg in Litres + 14L easy.

Normally gives me an actual L:G ratio of 2.5 to 3.5

Same here.
I always mash in with 14L & I generally use 5kg of grain. I don't bother using any less water if I raise or lower my grain bill.

I'll top up with around 5L of boiled water to get as close to 70-72deg C before running off. & use another 14L of sparge water.

Around 3:1 here.

Allows me to get 3 equally sized drainings of the mash tun to reach my preboil volume.

gary

For a single-sized batch, I mash whatever grain is required in my total pre-boil volume less my DunkSparge(tm) volume.

This usually turns out at ~5kg grain in ~(38-18) litres = ~1:4 or to answer the question, ~4:1.

And yet, it works! :D

But given your nick, you probably end up with 2.5:1 by the time you get the lid on, eh?

But given your nick, you probably end up with 2.5:1 by the time you get the lid on, eh?

It's better when I brew alone. You can probably imagine the effect on a brewday of a Thirsty Boy and someone who SpillsMostOfIt...

It's better when I brew alone. You can probably imagine the effect on a brewday of a Thirsty Boy and someone who SpillsMostOfIt...

Ahh, but then there are some useful nicks around too, like instead of expending energy with a mash paddle, you could get Tidalpete to run a few laps around yer mash tun. Then again after the boil to get a good whirlpool going!

Usually 2.5, but did a wheat yesterday, and went out to 2.8 so i wouldnt get a gummy mash. No probs, and got less doughballs than usual. Might keep using this ratio.

mine changes as i step mash with boiling infusions. gotta stir like a ******* though.

Latest posts

Back