What's The Smallest Viable Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the enzymes are part of the grain, so I'm all for the single grain mash! bring it on! :p ;D

Crystal grain is "Mashed" in the corn, so that has to be the smallest practical mash.

I wonder if you could soak some pale malt in water at 65C ish, until it is fully hydrated (like those occasional uncracked grains you see in the grist when you are cleaning out) then give it time to convert.

You could then bake (kiln) the malt to make your own Crystal Malt; or just break the grains up and sparge the mush.

MHB

I've done exactly this on several occasions Mark. It works perfectly well. I re-hydrate in just cool water though, then bring it up to mash temps for an hour or so. There is an article about it on the G&G website I think. Home made crystal at about 25EBC is what I usually get.

I only do it when I am feeling particularly bloody minded about the DIY thing though, it a bit of a pain in the arse.

Futher to the original topic... yep, a 1 litre batch is perfectly viable and I've done it. Spills regularly does 4L or so batches and I regularly do 6-10L batches.

In a really small batch... mash in a small pot and put it in the oven, if you can set it to the actual mash temp great, if not, just on very low and put the pot down the bottom. That solves teh temp loss thing and everything else is just a smaller version of the process. easy peasy.

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back