What's In Your Herb / Vege Garden?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a BOY!

:lol:

boy_tomatoe__1248_x_832_.jpg

Our part of the world isn't the easist to grow stuff, but we try. At the moment we have:
New Guinea red bananas
Ducasse banana's
Bowen mango
Common mango
Mandarin
Lemonade
Bush lemon
Meyer lemon
Grumichama
Arabica coffee x 2
4 x passionfruit vines
Ginger
Galangal
Dragonfruit
White sweet potato
Bay tree
Aloe vera
Curry tree
Sweet basil
Thai basil
Marjoram
Garlic chives
Common mint
Spearmint
Vietnamise mint
Ceylon spinach
Snake beans
Italian parsley
Spikey cucumbers
7 Pot chilli
Yellow Habenero chilli
Trinidad Scorpion chili seedlings
Cayenne chilli
Hungarian Hot wax chilli
Some type of Thai bell chilli
Birds eye chilli
Purple Tiger chilli
Bees, chooks ,lorikeets, guppies, cats, dogs and too many children

Regards

Edited to add stuff

Greetings, this is my first year of growing corn...is the general "when the silk threads are turning brown" the best time to harvest?

After Sunburnt's advice I went for a rectangle bed...4 x 5 plants and they are all producing heavily...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

i have about a dozen corn plants growing at quite a rate of knots. I just got some stakes to stop them blowing over and i have been told when the fur on top of the cob goes brown and dry, ready to pick.

Im no expert though....... first timer but my brother grew some great corn a month ago.......... yummy

From the yates garden guide (41st edition)

"They are ready to pick when the silks have turned brown and cobs stand out at about a 30 degree angle. Make a further check by pulling open the husk from the top and pressing the grains witha thumb nail. If grain is soft and exudes juice with a creamy consistency, the cob is ready to pick"

hth
j

3 Pots of basil and one of coriander. Its not a whole lot, but after making a fresh batch of pesto with the basil i can't wait for it all to grow back! haha

I have some tomatoes in pots, but summer has been so wet that they have performed poorly, way to humid.. :(

My chillies from Tony are racing and look good, nice big leaves.. :)

Potatoe, corn and butter beans planed together in my raised bed are going gangbusters.. So far about 25 potatoe plants :)

Have had a crapload of snow peas but they seem to be slowing down now. Only got a couple of beetroot to grow but those that are are getting there. Heaps of tomato plants that seem to be growing pretty well at the moment. Also have a few capsicum plants that are pretty small so far. Jalapeos are coming along nicely. Also just noticed that there is the world's smallest lemon on the new lemon tree so hopefully we get a few more.

First time since I was 14 (11 years ago) that I have had a vegie garden

Potatoes, onions, spinach, snow peas,
carrots, beetroot, capsicum, chilli (habs and jalapenos)
Tomatoes, water melon, pumpkin
cabbage, brocoli, sweet corn,

Its been great fun I only wish I had more space

Cheers Stu

Herb harvest today...
3/4 of the basil filled an empty 48L grain container. Happy given that is was 5small seedlings and haven been harvesting on and off as needed. Going to blend up and mix with oil, freeze most and use as needed.
Massive anount of sage and oregano drying now and some parsley seeds.

Heirloom tomatoes have been on the go for several weeks and plenty of fruit left... probably make some sauce soon.

Corn ends have started to turn black and wilt... I've got normal and some balinese maize (red/blue I think).

Basil and mints going wild. Chilli and capsicum galore.

It's been a good year... and almost time to pick my hops!

We set a garden up a couple of weeks ago
It has
beans
capsicans
chili
corn
tomato
spring onions
leeks
chives
cauliflower
tarragon
Italian parsley
basil
cucumbers
thyme
carrots

Herb harvest today...
3/4 of the basil filled an empty 48L grain container. Happy given that is was 5small seedlings and haven been harvesting on and off as needed. Going to blend up and mix with oil, freeze most and use as needed.
Massive anount of sage and oregano drying now and some parsley seeds.

Surprised that the basil would fit in a 48L container... those plants were massive.

Harvested that grain we planted yet?

I harvested 1kg of tomatoes on friday and should find about the same tomorrow.
I already have the onions picked and dried
So its time to make some chutney.

Cheers Stu

yep definatly relish/sauce weather. have taken over 6KG's of mixed tomatoes and will be onto my 4th batch of sauce/relish tonight. great for presents.

What's In Your Herb / Vege Garden?

killer zuchinnis!!!
IMG_0515.jpg
ive got another 2 this size. ive taken quite a few smaller ones off for zuchinni slice. this got divvied up between us, my folks and my grandmother.

i found the lose their taste when the grow much bigger than a handful or so.
i like to pick them young and roast them whole... or grate them into everything the kids eat - they don't realise and need more veg!

i found the lose their taste when the grow much bigger than a handful or so.
i like to pick them young and roast them whole... or grate them into everything the kids eat - they don't realise and need more veg!
Yeah they do a little. These got away from me. They were pretty good though. Still shit on store bought.

I put in a few herbs and things recently
Basil
Purple basil
coriander
tomatoes
couple of types of capsicum
cucumber
eggplant
lettuce
Got a awesome strawberry going in an old drum. all in pots up on the roof.
Having some trouble with the coriander though as soon as I put it in it started to go to seed.
Is coriander one of those plants you have to plant every year?
Should I rip it out and put in another one?

Got a awesome strawberry going in an old drum. all in pots up on the roof.
Having some trouble with the coriander though as soon as I put it in it started to go to seed.
Is coriander one of those plants you have to plant every year?
Should I rip it out and put in another one?

I wish they built houses in Australia with flat roofs instead of gabled roofs so that we could have more rooftop entertaining areas / herb gardens... Now that it's winter my backyard gets hardly any direct sun and my garden is looking very sad & malnourished.

As for your coriander; yes, once they go to seed they are useless. Rip them out and plant more.

Back