What's In Your Herb / Vege Garden?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The greenhouse is cheating I know but I dont care :p
The selfwatering tubs are cheating too as they are tomato growing machines. If anyone is interested I can post some pics on how to make them.

Tony, your plants will catch up quick as the season gets on. My plants out in the garden are only the same size as yours as we can only plant out about now cause of frost risks.

Sage
Thyme
Oregano
Lemon Balm
Parsley
Mint
Garlic
a new pumpkin plant
potatoes
capsicum (dying)
Sugar snaps (dying)
strawberries
Hops (tett, Chinook, hallertau and Kent goldings)
Lettuce
Silverbeet

Oregano
Parsley
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Chives
Lovage
Egyptian Tree Onions
Shallots
Shiso
Watercress
Asparagus
Rhubarb
Potato
Cabbage
Leek
Beans
Broad Beans
Sugar Snap Peas
Greenfeast peas
Beetroot
Letuce
Wild Rocket
Parsnip
Sugarbeet
And a shit load of earwigs (eating every goddam seedling I planted for the last month...)

Finally got a vege patch started this year. Mainly something interesting for the little ones to see & taste fruit/veg growing rather than reducing our grocery bill. Though having fresh herbs is nice.

Herbs
Basil
Mint
Rosemary
Parsley
Oregano

Vege Patch

Cos Lettuce
Tomatos (Roma)
Strawberries
Sweet Corn

Fruit Trees
Lemon
Lime
Orange
Ruby Grapefruit
Mandarine

Cheers SJ

I need Costa to come over to my house and fix up the back yard in a veggie/fruit garden!

I only have a slim garden because the back yard is concreted (used to be a boat and truck parking area). Main section Okra, parsley, tomatoes, egglant, button squash, shallots, mint and garlic chives. All powered by spent grain and kitchen scraps.

garden1__Medium_.jpg

so I expanded out into pots with rosemary, thyme, basil, lettuce (bolted), chives and capsicum.

garden3__Medium_.jpg

The capsicums, although confined to a pot, are producing commercial sized fruit so I'll do that again.

garden4__Medium_.jpg

Costa could grow potatoes in his beard. What a man! (jealous)

Just starting out again this year after a 2 year hiatus due to moving house.

Vegies:

Asparagus
4 x Improved Roma Tomato
15 x Grosse Lisse
1 x Burkes Backyard Italian Tomatos
capsicum
butternut pumpkin
zucchini
sweet corn
dwarf beans
snow peas
climbing peas
carrots
parsnips

Fruit:

Strawberries
2 x Peach
2 x Plum
1 x Plumcot
2 x Apricot
2 x Apple
1 x Nectarine

Citrus:

Lemon Meyer
Eureka Lemon
Valencia Orange
Naval Orange

Just mail ordered a Satsuma Mandarin today (early fruiting seedless variety)

In the plans are:

Another Nectarine
Pear
Avocado
Blueberry
Tangello
lotsa herbs
onions
garlic
spuds?
hops

...and others I can't think of just now.

Most of the fruit and tomatoes get preserved in bottles for consumption during the year (with no chill as the preferred method of cooling :) ). Apricot jam is also a personal favourite...

[edit] wrong emoticon

Blood Orange trees were in all the nurseries I visited a few months ago, but have had to go to NSW to get my Satsuma Mandarin.

Put a watch on a tree from Daleys, they list things all the time :D

The greenhouse is cheating I know but I dont care :p
The selfwatering tubs are cheating too as they are tomato growing machines. If anyone is interested I can post some pics on how to make them.

Tony, your plants will catch up quick as the season gets on. My plants out in the garden are only the same size as yours as we can only plant out about now cause of frost risks.
I'd love to see pics of the selfwatering tubs, I have a pile of strange coloured tomatoes I picked up from Diggers but the garden of the house I moved into is in pretty poor shape, the previous tennants used it to dump their rubbish in.

Diggers have a message on their home page that they are closed to business until January...

Only for live plant shipments. They don't ship during summer as the plants die in transit. You really don't want to plant trees in summer anyway... they take better if planted during cooler months.

Seeds and stuff you can order year round.

Cheers
Dave

I'd love to see pics of the selfwatering tubs, I have a pile of strange coloured tomatoes I picked up from Diggers but the garden of the house I moved into is in pretty poor shape, the previous tennants used it to dump their rubbish in.

These can be made with all sorts of tubs or buckets but these ones from kmart just happened to fit nicely together

Tubs.jpg

The tub that the soil goes in has a hole cut for a black pot (wicking chamber) and lots of small aeration holes with another for the water pipe

Tub1.jpg

Then they go together like so

Tubs3.jpg

Then it is filled with potting mix to which I add some dolomite and a strip of fertiliser is put along the front edge and just buried
TubFertStrip.jpg

These things are tomato and pepper growing machines , beleive me. Two full sized tomatoes can be grown in each tub.

:icon_chickcheers:

Back